Friday, April 27, 2012

In Thrall

Zach is already a TV/DVD addict. More often than not lately, he will watch a DVD on the computer -- partly because Amma and Buppa are too dimwitted to fathom the kids' tv/satellite/dvd system. Sheesh!

Lately, the movie in favour is Toy Story. I mentioned to Cuppa that we could put it on in the morning and rerun it continuously all day, every day, and he would sit there the whole time utterly entranced. I wasn't entirely kidding when I said that.

We do our best to keep him down to no more than two viewings a day, but on cold, cloudy days when it's not nice to be outside and when he doesn't feel like playing, it's tempting to make it three or more viewings.

I foresee significant problems in his teenage years.



6 comments:

Donna said...

That movie was our Williams FAVORITE movie of all time...I have to say it is one of the better ones...
Sami loved Balto...
Happy weekend!
Hughugs

Diana said...

No more problems then the average teen today A.C.! Jake and I are forever torturing selves by asking the kids questions like, "Do you know who Clint Eastwood is? Robert Redford, Liz Taylor?" it's really makes you feel old to hear the answers. All they know is what is happening today, computers, Zac Efron, cell phones.
We use the XBox to watch movies, I can't figure it out either so I watch them on my computer too! Which I should have back next week. I don't like this one.
Sarah likes to watch funny animal videos on youtube. We sit for hours laughing at them. She will be here tonight.
Before you know it Nikki Dee will be texting! LOL!!! Love Di

Bernie said...

One of my favorite movies is Toy Story, can't blame Zack for loving it. It is the way of the world now my friend and looking back I could of use this movie watching method many times I'm sure.....:-)Hugs

Ruth said...

Our youngest liked to watch the same movies repeatedly. Bambi and The Land Before Time were watched daily (more than once a day) in her preschool years. She was a delightful teenager and is not a movie addict now. :-)

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I thought he was a really active young man. How mesmerizing that movie must be.

I see you have not resorted to the exhortation of my mother when we watched too much TV or made to much commotion in the house, "Go outside and play, I will call you when it is dinner time." I guess kids do not play outsite they way they used to. Parents see it as a dangerous place for children. Sad!

Hilary said...

I have relatives whose son was 8 before he understood that television had variety. That is, he believed that "watching TV" meant seeing The Lion King. That was all he ever knew existed and that was by design.

His parents were/are against television for their children but the grandma gave and played the video for him before the parents were aware and could object. He now has 2 or 3 other videos he's permitted to see but I still don't think he's ever really watched television.

A real world awaits these kids one day...