Sunday, September 17, 2006

I'm Simply De-Lighted

There are strange goings-on going on in my little den. Gremlins seem to be at work.

The kids bought me a new ceiling light for my birthday. It came with a fan. I needed a new contraption up there because the old one wasn't working well. The old fan had always been very noisy, and the light had recently begun to make little, alarming, static-ey sounds. The new one, the birthday present, is a spiffy model with a remote control. There are no chains to pull; just click whatever button your heart desires: light on or off, dimmed or not; fan at low, medium, high or off.

I thought it so very neat and was well pleased with it. But as the days progressed I kept thinking to myself: "I don't remember turning the fan on ... but, I must have."

Then, one day last week I was sitting at my desk facing the window. Suddenly it seemed as though a light went out. Sure enough the ceiling light was off, but had I really had it on in the first place, or was my imagination playing tricks on me? I didn't think it was my imagination, so I went downstairs to ask Cuppa if she had just been by and turned my light off. No, she had been on the ground floor, nowhere near my upstairs den.

I explained what I thought had happened, and we both headed-up to check things out. We'd turn the light on, and it would go off. Same with the fan – over and over. It was pretty funny. Was somebody watching TV, and was his/her remote control affecting my light? Was my remote control affecting his/her TV? It's amusing to ponder the scenario. Since then, I have had no further incidents with the actual light, but the fan still turns on by itself every now and then.

From ghoulies and ghosties
And long-leggedy beasties
And things that go bump in the night,
Good Lord, deliver us!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's pretty funny. When I was growing up we had a garage door that would do that.

Cathy said...

Yep. It's funny if someone else is in the house with you, but ohhhhh brother. It's the old nightmare scenario when you're alone at home - getting to the top of the stairs and reach around the corner to flip the light switch just before the boogey man strikes and NUTHIN' Flip. Flip. NUTHIN'!

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of controlling the light and the fan with a remote control. What will they think of next :-). Strange how it is going on and off though.

Gina said...

Look at what lengths people will go to to disguise their faulty memories....

Just kidding AC, I love ya, you know that!

Sue said...

I think I'd find that a bit spooky! I'll stick to my fans with little chains to pull, I think.

One of the cats has changed the air conditioning settings in my study a couple of times by sitting on the remote control .. but at least I know it's happening as I hear it bleeping.

Granny said...

Things like that happen around here too.

I was going to email you with a question. Do you know of technology to transfer 8 tracks to cd or something like that?

You seemed like the right generation to ask - not for me, for another online friend who has her wedding ceremony on 8 track with no way to listen to it.

Dora said...

If your remote is set on the same frequency as another remote - then that could be setting it off/on.....even if it's at your neighbor's house.
My hubby didn't believe me when I said that our neighbors remote was locking/unlocking our van....and sure enough - every time they would come/go with locking/unlocking their vehicle...our van would lock and unlock.
Check your other remotes :) or items operated by frequencies.

Sarah Elaine said...

I'm with you... Gremlins. ;-)

PBS said...

That's pretty spooky and it's not even Halloween yet!

Rainypete said...

I can't help but chuckling at you turning your light on over and over while your neighbor tries to figure out why his tv keeps flipping from channel to channel.

Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

I had water standing on the dryer. Yes, the cat water bowl is there. No, they don't spill it, no there is no water pipe in the ceiling....

It happened on and off the last three weeks.

The nice cousin, Rusty, found the pinhole leak in the cat bowl....

Whew!