On a recent trail walk when we were near the bridge, I looked down to spy quite a field of Queen Anne's Lace somewhat in the middle distance near where we sometimes park our car, but didn’t on that day.
That led me to look around, and when I saw more flowers near WalMart in a field by the ditch, I decided to stop. It was windy, so I decided to go with the flow (haha, literally) and shoot in Live mode and later convert to gifs.
More Queen Anne's Lace (aka Wild Carrot)
Even more of The Queen mixed with golden rod (solidago)
The invasive Purple Loosestrife
The Queen was dominant, however
I did take a still photo of a plant that was new to me. It looked a lot like Bee Balm. Sure enough, when I got home I did identify it, or Apple did, as Wild Bergamot or Wild Bee Balm. I hadn't noticed this plant before, and I think there was only only one clump, but there should me more because it is quite pretty. I think it would even look good in a rough, not too pristine, garden. I have planted Bee Balm in the distant past.
That evening, I found two varieties of thistles in the park.
Perennial Sow Thistle
Spear Thistle
On our farm, we have several old patches of remnant prairie and wildflowers that burn every couple years. There is always something blooming out there all summer long it seems.
ReplyDelete