We don't subscribe to a sports package. During winter I surreptitiously find a stream for my hockey games, but I don't watch other sports except tennis in summer when I follow three events: Wimbledon in June, Canadian Open (properly called the National Bank Open) in August, and the US Open in September.
The bonus this year, was that the sports channel that I subscribed to for Wimbledon was also the one carrying FIFA. After I watched a game or two, especially involving Canada, I told Sue that she might like watching soccer. While we do watch tennis together, she wants nothing to do with hockey on tv although she did enjoy watching Jonathan's games live when he was playing.
It eventuated that she did like watching FIFA and was frequently much more vocal than I with many an imploring, "Shoot, shoot, shoot!"
Because of my ancestry I had to cheer for England once Canada was eliminated, and they did win the bronze, which was good enough. Then, I had to cheer for Spain in the final because they don't like Trump and also because Argentina's star player does. Spain finally scored a goal and won, and the pathetic, childlike president tried to get into the celebratory team photos. He did manage to insert himself into a few, but for their part, the Spaniards photoshopped him out.
It was a great event. I wonder if I might be able to view any European soccer while I have the subscription.
I don't follow sports for the most part with two exceptions. I do enjoy watching the Olympics every two years. I also halfway follow the Tour de France which is going on right now. Although this year I do have access to watch every stage, I never do. I generally watch the commentary before the stage starts and then fast forward to the last ten minutes to watch the final sprint and then post race commentary. The middle part I find much like I do soccer, tennis, baseball or many other sports, not enough to keep me awake.
ReplyDeleteWatching the Tour goes back to my youth when I cycled 1000 miles every summer and was a huge Greg LeMond fan.
DeleteI miss cycling. While I never went on a big trip, we did add up to more than 2000k exactly 21 years ago before injuries got in the way.
DeleteI followed that fiasco of an old man trying to steal a spotlight for himself as if he were an athlete. He isn't.
ReplyDeleteI love the foreign commentator that said something like: I expect they will photoshop him out!
I didn't watch any soccer, but I enjoyed following it in short reviews in the evenings.
It was typical and pathetic.
DeleteWe just embraced the streaming TV age with a new TV. Ours was 20 years old and used cable. We've abandoned cable in favor of WiFi connection but for football games which we watch in season we don't have a source. I guess we will subscribe to a football app when the games are on and then cancel it. It takes some getting used to having this new TV. Dan spent a day messing with it. It gave me a headache to even think about it.
ReplyDeleteIt now requires $$ to follow sports. For hockey, I would need several subscriptions to follow my team adequately.
DeleteGotta love those Spaniards. -Kate
ReplyDeleteI didn't watch FIFA but I know so many who were really into it. I love that Sue got into it too!
ReplyDeleteWe have cable and get 8 sports channels so we can watch lots of events.
ReplyDeleteSoccer players fall over very easily was my take on Fifa although we watched most of the games
I watched snippets on YouTube. We don’t have regular TV. I have been loving the individual stories on players and of course the fans. I am very happy for Spain.
ReplyDeleteI was happy that Spain one. Some friends live there now and I've been to Spain. I didn't realize that Messi liked Trump. Now I'm even more delighted!
ReplyDeleteWon--what is this autocorrect doing??
ReplyDelete