I'd seen photos of chicory recently and also seen chicory in the distance as we have been driving around, but when we passed the abandoned building by the little back bridge, there were blooms aplenty. I didn't spend much time with them, but I did snap a few of one flower that I could capture on its own.
I used portrait mode to give me the blurry background. We call that bokeh. Bokeh is the aesthetic quality of the blur in out-of-focus areas of an image. It is created using a wide aperture lens, commonly producing soft, pleasing circles of light. (Mr Google)
An even slightly blurrier background might be preferrable, but that was as far as portrait mode would take me. I switched to normal mode which would really show the background detail, but then I managed to soften it well in edit, proving that you can sometimes fake with software what otherwise might require a high quality lens on an expensive camera. While it might not be good enough for a pro photographer, it is good enough for me in this phone stage of my photography.
As she often does, Sue had caught me in the act of shooting these photos.




I'm going to have to see if my phone will do that blurry background. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteI like the fuzzed out background!
ReplyDeleteIt is such a lovely shade of blue.
ReplyDeleteYour floating chicory shots are beautiful...but I like the last because the flower's stem keeps it connected to something. The others are more arty though.
ReplyDeleteLove the floating flower shots; I'm not quite sure what chicory is so I'm off to look it up. Isn't it a type of coffee like stuff too?
ReplyDeleteI've said before somewhere on my blog about drinking Chicory coffee with my grandmother. She had first used it during the Great Depression and then again during WWII. The coffee is made from the root I believe.
ReplyDeleteThese are great and I love the last one which gives the flower a vision of coming up out of the ether.
Nice shots of one of our abundant summer wildflowers. So delicate looking and so tenacious.
ReplyDelete