Friday, July 31, 2026

A MIssed Selfie

It happens once or twice a week from both kids, but it is coming to an end for one grandkid.


Danica is booking the month off before heading back to uni in September, but she will be living there this year and not commuting. In the interim, there is a vacation to take with mom and JJ, and her apartment/room to get ready for the fall semester at Carlton U in Ottawa, so she won’t be working this month. 

The baby is leaving home and us.

sniff

I did get her to work, but she wasn't a happy camper because she had forgotten several things, including her lunch for a long shift.

I said that I would came back and take her to Tims for lunch. We used to take the kids there every now and then when they were little and we were the daycarers. So, it has been awhile, but it was nice to reprise one more time.

Sue and I picked her up at 3 and just drove the very short distance to Tims.

That evening Danica posted this.



Yes, a homeless (I don't think that is right word anymore) man asked us if we had money for a sandwich. I don’t carry much cash, but I was willing to buy him a sandwich. I said so and headed to the cashier with app in hand. He was specific and requested beef and cheese. I asked if he would also like a coffee.

"Yes please: large 2 creams and 2 sugars."

I placed the order and paid with my app. It came to $10 something. I went back to the table while he waited for the order to be processed.  

With the interruption, we didn't think to get around to the selfie.

Darn. 


9 comments:

  1. Although I have the cash most times, living in a rural area where credit cards aren't always accepted, I still prefer to buy the food and give it to the homeless. Less of a chance of it turning into drinking money and exacerbating the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It seems such a short time ago that you were sharing photos of granddaughter Danica as a child and now she is a young woman. Time has gone by very fast and we see it with our own grandchildren as well. Buying that gentleman a sandwich and coffee was better than simply giving money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a kind thing you did for that homeless man, though. I cannot think too closely about 'last times' - too sad - and just enjoy the times we have with our family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes doing something kind like that is far better than a selfie. (Most times, probably.) I love that you and Danica have such a wonderful close relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you all had a goodbye lunch together. I started a goodbye process before leaving my friends, and it took weeks of "let's get together for one more..."!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lovely that she loves to spend time with you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are a good person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are a kind person and I am jealous of your relationships with family but I am also so happy for you.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a pretty darn good day! Very sweet

    ReplyDelete