Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Souper Sweet Potato Soup

To me, a cook is someone who understands the process and can concoct their own recipes or at least readily modify others'. By that definition, I'm no cook and never will be. But that doesn't stop me from opening cookbooks and trying to follow the steps that they outline — frequently not without curious incidents. I've tried a few soups over the past few years, but this is my favourite for a combination of ease, nutrition, taste and healthy lightness. You could eat a gallon of this stuff without feeling guilty. I often double the recipe. I figure that I may as well while I'm at it, but I give you portions as they're printed in Crazy Plates.

Prep Time: 60 minutes
Cook Time: 60 minutes
Ready In: 120 minutes
Yields: 6 servings

INGREDIENTS:
6 cups cubed yams or sweet potatoes (about 3 large)
1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped onions
1 tbsp olive oil
4 cups (1 box) low fat chicken broth (really calls for 5 cups)
1 tbsp grated orange zest
1 tbsp grated gingerroot
1 whole clove
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
sour cream
fresh cilantro (optional)

DIRECTIONS:
1. Spray shallow pan with non-stick spray
2. Add yams, olive oil, and garlic.
3. Stir well and roast uncovered for 25 minutes at 400F, stirring halfway through
4. Transfer mixture to soup pot and add rest of ingredients: gingerrrot, clove, cumin, salt, and pepper.
5. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered for 10 minutes
6. Remove clove
7. Blend in batches until smooth
8. Serve with sour cream and cilantro (if desired — I don't bother)

10 comments:

PBS said...

That sounds very good! I'd try it but we are still working on the sweet potato casserole. Maybe later.

Anonymous said...

This sounds like something even I could make. :-). I am putting my copy and paste to work.

Anonymous said...

Cold little raindrops, indeed! Winter just came in with a vengance, it's freezing here!

Your soup sounds delicious,I love yams. We will try this.

Ginnie said...

Hi AC: Thanks for your kind words on my latest blog and for your reference to your own blog...concerning talking to the departed. I did look it up and found it to be very thought provoking and touching.
My husband donated his body to science...he wanted to keep on teaching even after his death. They actually used the body for two years and he was then cremated. We chose not to take the ashes but I did want something to mark his passing...so when our little town put in a Memorial Garden and sold bricks for the walkway I purchased one for him. It simply has his name and dates but it is very near our home and is there if anyone wants to visit.
This blogging journey is very cathartic...but that would be hard to explain to anyone who does not do it...I've tried and received blank stares. Thanks so much for yours...I love to read it (and Cuppa's). Best regards, Ginnie

Anonymous said...

I cut and pasted the recipe and printed it. I'm going to make it for my dad. By the way I love the new look of your blog. You are very creative.

Bonita said...

I yam impressed! I like squash soup too, from acorn or spaghetti squash. ~ Bonita

Anonymous said...

That sounds great! You're sending some, right? :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like some good stuff. :) And, yes, it is definitely cold everywhere!


Peace,

~Chani

Anonymous said...

sounds yummy - i like the new template!

Leann said...

yummy I love soup on a cold day.big slice of home made wheat bread and a big glass of milk.I will surely try this.thanks for sharing it with us.sorry I havent stopped for a while I been busy and just bumbed out.I like the look of the blog.its blue and I love blue.take care.O I like your dog pictures.God bless.