I have received several requests by both email and comments for the recipe that I mentioned yesterday. Let me tell you that it is from Crazy Plates which is a unique and wonderful cookbook that follows the very successful Looney Spoons. Both books specialize in light cooking and are packed with humor and many lifestyle and food tips.
The publishing of Looney Spoons was quite a story. They had an idea but little money and no publisher. They designed the book using Corel Draw, and subsequent books follow the same homespun appearance. I don't see the most recent volume online yet; it's titled Eat, Shrink & Be Merry! by Janet and Great Podleski. It's worth supporting these ladies by purchasing one of their books.
The Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
- 6 cups peeled, cubed yams or sweet potatoes (about 3 large)
- 1.5 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 5 cups low-fat chicken broth (that's about one large box and 1 can although I have just used the one box at times)
- 1 tbsp each grated orange zest and ginger root
- 1 whole clove
- 1/2 tsp each ground cumin and salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 6 tbsp low-fat sour cream (I just let people add how much they want)
- Chopped, fresh cilantro for garnish (optional -- I never use it)
- Spray a shallow roasting pan with non-stick spray. Add yams, onions, olive oil, and garlic. Stir well. roast uncovered for 25 minutes. Stir once halfway through cooking time.
- Transfer mixture to a soup pot. Add broth, orange zest, ginger root, clove, cumin, salt, and pepper. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Working in batches, transfer soup to a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Serve hot with a swirl of sour cream in the center. Garnish with fresh cilantro, if desired.