Thursday, April 20, 2006

Lunch With Sadie

It was so absolutely gorgeous yesterday that Cuppa and I decided to have our first picnic. I was in shirtsleeves (hooray!) for the first time this year. We didn't go far because there was a turkey stew simmering on the stove. There was a lady and a dog in the local park that we chose. The lady wasn't young; the dog was. She, the lady, was just getting onto a blanket and starting to remove some clothes. I fervently hoped that she wouldn't go too very far, and, thankfully, she didn't.


The dog, Sadie was her name, was a rather delightful young thing. She bounded about with a tremendous joie de vivre that suited the day so wonderfully well: by the water, in the water, over here, over there, by the lady, over to see us. What energy!


We set about enjoying our lunch. I had bought very fresh submarine buns that morning and a bag of chips. I love chips but try not to indulge too often as my waistline is taking a terrible beating as it is. Sigh.


As we watched Sadie cavorting about, it became apparent to us that she was on her own, that she didn't belong to the recumbent lady. In vain, we looked all about for another human, but there was no one to be seen.


We began to fret about Sadie, who was certainly not fretting at all but having the time of her life. Being a dog, she'd get into the water and then come and shake herself by our feet. No amount of hollering could avoid that. Being a friendly and exuberant pup, she kept bound up onto us, particularly Cuppa, with wet body and muddy feet.


She had a tag that was hard enough to read anyway but doubly so with her propensity to move all parts of her body at once. We finally obtained a number, and we were asked to secure her until Animal Control could come by to keep her in custody until she should be claimed. And I am sure that she would be, for a household used to a life force like Sadie would miss her indeed.


 

16 comments:

Bonita said...

I'm so glad you were there to make sure that she was rescued, and I'm glad she was wearing her tag. What a fortunate day for all of you.

Judy said...

Awww...you are a GOOD man.

My family has lost four dogs in the past month and a half.

It was nice to see one so full of life!

Gina said...

Poor thing, I wonder how she got lost?

AC and Cuppa save the day!

methatiam said...

One of the best dogs I’ve ever owned was a park puppy!

Anonymous said...

One of the most profound things we can learn from dogs is to live and enjoy the moment. I really really hope Sadie found her home. Thank you for seeing that she was taken care of.

karla said...

Shirtsleeves? Good grief! I've always called them shortsleeves!

What a cute pup! She's certainly lucky you were around. I had to chuckle out loud at your description of her moving all parts of her body at once. Puppies have spines made of rubber.

Wiggle Wiggle Jiggle Jiggle.

Granny said...

I hope by now she is safely back home.

Query - When you say chips, are you talking about what we call french fries (as in fish and chips)?

oshee said...

Karla, I picked up on the shirtsleaves to. I've only heard that used in novels.

You are an amazing man Anvilcloud! It is wonderful you were able to take the time with the wandering puppy and see not an annoyance but a happy life loving being.
Good for you both!

Cathy said...

Nothing to add, except to say that I give thanks every day that people like you exist.

Cathy said...

Wrong. I DO have more to say! Those pictures are awesome!

Dale said...

I'm looking at the bottom pic and quite mindful of Cuppa's white sweater. Guess I'm not a great fan of dogs. Or perhaps it's irresponsible owners who challenge me. Anyway, it does feel good to be oot and aboot in shirt sleeves, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

Karla, AC is indeed in short sleeves, but when we say we are in shirtsleeves, it means we are out without a coat on. I guess it's an older expression... AC, you confused me with the photos of the dogs. I thought it an odd coincidence that the two dogs looked so much alike. I laughed when I realized you had doctored the photos.

mreddie said...

Puppies - and children - have so much energy that it almost makes me tired watching. :) My daughter's three young sons don't have a dog - I'm not sure it would survive their rough-housing. ec

Lora said...

She sounds like a delight. Good that you got to share in her joy. I hope that her family is quick to collect her.

PBS said...

Aww, that's good that you helped poor Sadie! Hope her family came and picked her up.

swamp4me said...

Few things are as true and pure as a dog's "smile." I love the close-up of Sadie's face.