I have come across concept this persistence hunting concept in various anthropology podcasts, and when I came acroos this article, I decided to write a little post. Despite the linked article, I am just writing from my general memory and not the article itself. This is my unscientific and very sketchy memory speaking. :)
Furred animals don’t deal with heat as well as our furless species. This was very true in the African heat of ancestral times. It's hard for furry bodies to dissipate the heat. They largely adapt by laying low during the highest heat. Our ancestors, however, lost their fur and were able to cool themselves by sweating, and so they could actually be active during the day.
Our forebears also became bipedal which is a very effective way of getting around. Bipedalism plus the ability to sweat and cool themselves enabled early hominids to become good at travelling distances. They were built more for distance endurance rather speed.
The belief is that they learned that they could chase a potential prey over a long distance as the prey, say a gazelle, would have to keep resting to not be overcome by heat.
When our ancestors eventually caught up with the exhausted animal, they had their primitive tools to complete their mission. I have seen persistence hunting re-enacted in a modern video in which, as far as I know, they did not actually dispatch a critter.
Well, that is my very unsophisticated description and explanation from what I recall. Please do not forward this to anyone who can explain this in proper scientific terms :)
However, I will leave you with a substantiating quote from the article.
The San people of southern Africa still show how persistence hunting works: up to this day, they run under the scorching heat of the sun, sweating consistently to cool off, and tracking the footprints of their prey, until they find them collapse from heat stress.
These types of hunts are not about speed; they are not sprints but more like a marathon. It is a battle of endurance, stamina, and internal temperature control, which our species has millions of experience in.
Years and years of persistence hunting likely further developed some traits that predate it, like bipedalism. By using their two legs more, our ancestors were able to unlock the ability to cover more ground with each step, withstand the repetitive stress and impact of running, and have a larger, more efficient lung capacity, which allows more intake of oxygen.
https://webpreneurships.com/before-fire-or-tools-humans-outran-their-prey-to-stay-alive-a-survival-skill-known-as-persistence-hunting
I knew this only because I recall reading stories [probably fiction] of hunters doing exactly that outrunning with endurance their prey.
ReplyDeleteI've been at 50 k runs and assisted with water stops. Human endurance is amazing.
Beautiful blog
ReplyDeletePlease read my post
ReplyDeleteThere must be some truth when my wife says I am de-evolving. Although furless, I lay low during the heat of the day to avoid sweating and things like sunburns. As a result, my hair has been migrating from the top of my head to my torso, much like a fur coat.
ReplyDeleteAs you age, your bodily hair will begin to vanish. It's all but gone from my arms and legs, and I was fairly hairy there once upon a time.
DeleteWell...faced with the specter of 'persistence hunting', I would have been the hairless sweaty person saying, 'this carrot looks very nice...'
ReplyDeleteWe certainly don't enjoy seating in this culture, but is you were running around naked you might feel different. I don't know this -- just speculating. 😎
DeleteThat's pretty interesting. It always amazes me that Lizzie, who's a pretty hairy girl, manages to find any sun puddle available on the hottest of days, seeks it out when the rest of us are looking for shade.
ReplyDeleteLizzie may not be known for her intelligence. 😁
DeleteI never knew about this, so thanks for sharing! I don't like the heat so would have to adapt to a vegetarian diet. :)
ReplyDeleteI learned something new! Thanks, AC!
ReplyDelete