Tuesday, July 18, 2017

Lake Road West

The local museum has produced several walking tours which we have attended, but we had missed the Lake Road West tour so far. So we remedied that one evening last week. There are a few fine homes of an historical significance on this street. But of course, I forget most of the details already.

We met at Market Square, near downtown, and headed west past the road construction which you can see a bit of in the second photo.




Our first stop was the Heritage Inn which is being redeveloped. This building has quite the history; before being the Heritage Inn, it was the Mississippi Hotel, and that it still the most commonly used name. It will soon become the Grand Hotel. We are standing in the courtyard in the photo. It was a popular outdoor eating spot when it was the Heritage Inn, but I don't know if it will be used that way in the newer enterprise.



In the background is one of the fine homes which were mentioned in the tour, but I tend to forget who was whom and what was what, so I won't try to retell the story.




We were able to get inside the home that is now a bridal shop.








The final walk-by was this rather grand mansion. I do remember some of the rather sad story associated with it. They had four sons and lost them all in the war. It is for sale if you're interested. The problem for many people would be location since it almost backs onto a grocery store parking lot.



In case you didn't know, the lady in white in some of these pictures is Sue.

5 comments:

Mara said...

Oooh, I love that chaise-longue in the bridal shop! I wouldn't mind having that in my big mansion (no room for it now).

Blogoratti said...

Such a fine mansion with character. What a walk-by that must have been. Warm greetings to you!

Marie Smith said...

The mantle and sideboard caught my eye. Great idea to highlight the heritage of the area.

Jenn Jilks said...

I totally recognized Sue! I love her flair for fashion!
So many sad stories associated with these old homes...

Mage said...

She looks refreshing too.