Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Happy 1st and 4th

It's kind of neat that our two days, Canada Day and Independence Day, occur so close together. It rained and thundered and lightninged for much of Canada Day here, so I didn't go out for the fireworks. However, we can see them in the distance from our bedroom window, so I zoomed in and happily snapped away.

For most of these photos, I have composited several bursts into one photo. The last two are single exposures where you can see the roof of a building in the foreground. I have never photographed fireworks before, so I was eager to try, even though shooting from the bedroom did not seem to be quite optimal. However, I am pleased enough with the results.

Of interest to some will be the specs: lens 70-200mm set ~100mm, focused manually at infinity, shutter speed 4" (for most), aperture f11, tungsten white balance, tripod with lens stabilization deactivated. (I would have used a remote shutter release if mine hadn't broken, but it worked well enough pressing the shutter.)

Anyway, Happy Belated Canada Day to some of you and Happy Independence Day to others.








9 comments:

Mara said...

I have tried several times, but never have gotten even one shot close to any of your bursts. Love the composites.

Marie Smith said...

Fantastic job, AC. Love the colours. You captured them perfectly!

Shammickite said...

The fireworks in our town on Saturday were fantastic. It had rained on Victoria Day so those fireworks were cancelled, and added to the Canada Day fireworks, and indeed they were spectacular, all to the strains of the Star Wars music.

Dale said...

Great shots, J.R. Did you raise the window pane, or shoot right through the glass? The images are surprisingly clear, and without using a remote shutter release, the odds were against you, I think. I sometimes use the self timer feature. It saves disturbing the camera to press the shutter release. Image stabilization - OFF? How come?

4" ... I can never remember. Is that 4 minutes or 4 seconds?
Or 4 inches?
Or "... 4 unquote.

Either way, a pat on the back for you, sir. Well done! Truly!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What great shots from the comfort of your own home, John!

Mage said...

Just wonderful. I like all of them. Happy Canada day to you both.

Debbie said...

these are great!!!

Jenn Jilks said...

Very well done!

Kay said...

Oh awesome! I've got some fireworks scheduled to post on my blog too, but nothing as spectacular as yours.