There is a local blogger, Linda Seccaspina, who has really gotten into posting about our town, Carleton Place, much of her posting being historical. Since I mentioned not too long ago that Hardy Boy and Nancy Drew author, Franklin W Dixon (pen name for the Hardy Boys author, Leslie McFarlane) lived here in CP, and since one reader showed interest in learning more, I thought I would use Linda's two posts to add a little information.
- Can Nancy Drew Solve the Case of Carleton Place’s Hardy Boys on High Street?
- The Hardy Boys in Carleton Place
So, I have three connections with Leslie McFarlane.
- I consumed the books as a boy.
- I was an avid watcher of Hockey Night in Canada, particularly the Montreal telecast.
- I moved to Carleton Place ten years ago.
You should go and read Linda's posts (linked above) for more information, but let me write here that Leslie McFarlane as Fenton W Dixon wrote 19 of the Hardy Boy books and 4 of the Nancy Drew books (first used in another series). It seems that he was paid between $85 and $125 per novel and he received no subsequent royalties. It also seems that he didn't enjoy this gig, but it was a way to make ends meet back in the day.