Monday, April 27, 2009

At Least there are Endorphins



I am taking another break from my blogging break to check in and tell you that Cuppa and I went cycling this morning. I know that it's not exactly earth-shattering news, but it's about all I have to offer these days.

Several years back, we did a lot of summer cycling, almost pedalling 2000 km one year. But that was in Lambton County where the terrain is flat and times were different. Here we've had injuries and babysitting and ... hills: the combination of which kept us off the bikes completely last year. But we've already been out a few times this year, just sauntering around town ... if it's possible to saunter on a bicycle, that is.

However, this morning we went on a real pedal. It wasn't all that far, only 17 km, but it was enough. Our typical ride back in Lambton was 30 km, but the local terrain seems to make every kilometre worth two or three of the flat Lambton countryside, so we don't really count mileage or kilometerage seriously any more. (It's true, I've hear it called kilometerage but only by officials at the board of education — I mean to say that I was a teacher but really — kilometerage?)

We stopped and greeted these horses on our journey. The three above were on one side of the road and the donkey (below) was on the other. He brayed when we left, maybe because we hadn't paid him enough attention.

Anyway, we came home rather worked out. Several years later and more than several pounds heavier, we're not as fit as we were. But I feel good. I have puffed and panted, and my puny muscles have been well worked, but the endorphins that result from physical effort seem to be flowing freely.


14 comments:

Mara said...

I have never heard of kilometerage, what a strange word. What's wrong with distance anyway?

Jinksy said...

I should think your grandaughter gave you workouts of equivalent value, whenever you see her! Hope the endorphines are still going strong the next morning...

Donna said...

I love the horses! Pretty pictures! Bet you sleep better tonight!! Hope so anyway!!hughugs

KGMom said...

Let's hear it for endorphins.
Yay, yay, yay.

And the horses--they look rather bemused at you two.

Heather Plett said...

I'm not sure how I would survive on hills. It's pretty easy to be a lazy cyclist in the middle of the flat prairies.

Ginnie said...

That's wonderful that you are both out cycling. I wish more people could get as much as you two do from the "little things in life."

Mary said...

AC,

Sounds like you and Cuppa enjoyed your cycling trip and that you saw a few sights along the way. The horses are beautiful.It's the little things in life that make it worth living. Glad to see you were out enjoying life.

Blessings,
Mary

PBS said...

Oh, horses, and such nice photos, too! Reading about exercising almost makes me want to exercise. Almost.

Garnetrose said...

I love horses and the pics are great. I loved cycling when I could do it with the bone problems I have now, cycling is not wise. MY 80 year old mil finally quit a few years ago after my hubby scolded her for riding with her feet on the handlebars and told her she was almost 80 and what would he did if she broke a hip. She quit but it bugs her yet.

Lorna said...

Cycling can be good for the soul, but lately, it hasn't been too good for the buns; my next cycle is going to have a memoryfoam seat

Ruth said...

17 kms is quite an impressive jump back into biking. I would be interested to know how you felt the day after! Good for both of you.

Kila said...

Good for you two! I was just thinking about doing that myself. Would be nice to do some biking with the kids on trails. Been a long time since I've been on a bike.

JunieRose2005 said...

AC,

The cycling sounds great- and just what I should be doing- but AM NOT!

Love the horse pics!!


Junie

Woman in a Window said...

Heck, that's one heckuva long first endeavor!