Monday, October 22, 2007

A Perspective

I forget who it was now, so I can't link, but I once read a blog by a nurse who worked with dying patients. He'd visit them in their homes; I guess the proper term is palliative care. In perhaps the only post of his that I can recall, he recounted how he advised a wonderful lady who was quickly coming to the end of her days on this sphere that it was time for her to thank her body for bearing her (my words) through the years.

That's has stuck with me: the notion of thanking your body when it is time. It seems good and fitting to me. But then I consider that I might begin to be thankful for it (or to it) long before I begin the last lap.

I don't think many of us do this, for our relationships with our bodies are not always terribly positive. At best we tend to take our housing for granted, but more often than not, we often hold negative feelings: wishing that we were taller, leaner, stronger, more durable, or some combination of the above.

But weak or strong, they are all that keep our spirits alive. For that I am grateful.

15 comments:

thailandchani said...

That sounds like a wonderful idea! I know my poor body has put up with my abuse for 56 years. There are times I'm surprised it has borne the burden so well.

Ruth said...

It is easy to take a body for granted until it breaks down. I have learnt that working parts are more important than beautiful parts. But most important is the character of the soul the body houses.

dmmgmfm said...

My dad's body is breaking down from Parkinson's. Watching him has made me more appreciative of my own healthy body. Good, thought provoking post, AC.

Dale said...

Amen.

*

ChrisB said...

I was talking to my mother about this very subject only this morning. I must tell her about your post.

Pam said...

It's funny, but I have always thought of my body as the place where I reside. It has taken me on many exciting adventures and I am eternally grateful. We are planning on more!

Pearl said...

Good idea. Appreciating the feet, the freedom of movement when we have it to this ole sack for the brain is a good idea.

Gina said...

Even though my body isn't exactly ideal, I do love it for exactly the reasons you state.

Ginnie said...

Thanks for reminding me, AC. I have always thought that good health is the best gift we can receive...and we can do so much to help it along by taking good care of the "vessel".

Anonymous said...

Thank you for reminding me to be grateful. I am one of those folks who wishes my body to be a bit different, but you know what? It's strong, works really well, has held up over the years and, darn it, I SHOULD love it!

Turtle Guy said...

In the Ashtanga Yoga classes I take, we spend a few minutes at the end of the practice, on our backs, hugging our knees in toward our chest - thanking our body for the practice. It is also pointed out to us through the practice that each breath we take in is a gift, and with each exhale, we return the gift.

Sarah Elaine said...

Beautiful post. We do have many things to be thankful for, indeed.

Anonymous said...

I think you have just changed the way I view myself and my body. Thanks. :-)

Kathy Trejo said...

Great Perspective! I was just telling my husband similar things this morning.

I thank you too! :)

Catherine said...

I like this...a lot. I hope it sticks with me, too.

I once found myself saying "I hope I write a book someday, because there are so many people I'd like to thank in the acknowledgments." I then realized how silly it is to not just thank them now...

catherine