Thursday, October 04, 2007

Passing Thoughts

We are an odd assortment of entities, we humans. Of course, while at some level I understand that I number among the odd ones, I don't really believe it in my heart. My driving, for example, is nigh unto perfect. Really! This allows me to observe peculiarities in others, and I here and now address my keyboard to briefly recount one of these.

To wit: we live near a two-lane highway. The problem with a two-laner is that not everyone prefers to go through life at the same speed. Since I am not the fastest driver in the world, certain other drivers insist on passing me. Of course, I try to help them out when I can. Every so often, for instance, the blessed highway builders have added a special passing lane that is long enough for others to pass me in comfort and with ease, for if we chance upon one of these, I stay in the slow lane and allow others to pass.

However, when the gas pedal is under the other foot, so to speak, it doesn't always work out as well. You see, just as I am not the zippiest driver in the world, neither I am not the ploddingest one. Sometimes, therefore, I am the one getting stuck behind a turtle (sorry Dave), and it is I who looks to take advantage of one of these designated passing zones. Alas, it doesn't always work out as well as I would hope, for not all others are as considerate as I. (Remember if you will that I count myself as one of the few non-odd humans, and one of my finer traits is that I am considerate.)

In point of fact, more than once I have putted along behind a slow driver, but as we enter the passing zone s/he will suddenly depress the gas pedal and begin to speed like a bat of out you know where. This presents a conundrum, for I know that if I don't pass, the same driver will slow back down to a leisurely crawl just as soon as we get back to two lanes, and I will be stuck again. It's beyond my ken what goes through their brains, but I have found myself in this predicament more than once.

And so ... I am forced to hurtle into warp speed in order to get by the turtle-become-bat-soon-to-become-turtle-once-again and end up exceeding the speed limit by not a small margin. Someday, I will probably be hauled off to the hoosegow for my efforts. It's just not fair, I tell you. Not when I'm so sincere, considerate and wonderfully un-odd.

8 comments:

KGMom said...

I got lost in the dust on the two lane!

Dale said...

I'd choose a two lane road over the frenetic 401 any day, AC. Any day!

mreddie said...

I too try to be considerate, on the days that others will allow me to be so. Other times I just duck out of the way to keep from getting run over. ec

-epm said...

These troubled souls who can't stand to be passed -- either consciously or subconsciously -- suffer from what I call "Pamela Purse" syndrome, from the Shel Silverstein poem Ladies First

http://behindthestove.blogspot.com/2005/08/ladies-first-shel-silverstein-light-in.html

It's a trait learned around the age of five... some never grow out of it.

thailandchani said...

I've never understood people who don't want to be passed. It's like.. um... what's the big deal? It is rather childish as one of your commenters already alluded to...

Also a slow driver here.. but considerate of those who feel the need to be fast, fast, fast. :)



Peace,

~Chani
http://thailandgal.blogspot.com

cat59 said...

Yes; what is it with these people!?

Pam said...

I used to be a considerate driver also, but some of the crazies out there made it a difficult task. Besides the ones who won't be passed are the ones that pass so fast they become a streak of color. I have fond memories of back roads, the dirt roads where you hardly ever see another vehicle.

Anonymous said...

I respect your predicament.. but I must say.. you had me chuckling at this one.