Friday, October 02, 2026

Into the Sugar Bush and Back

It drizzled when we began our trip to the sugarbush. It drizzled when we got home. It drizzled at all times between. But it was our day to go, and so we went. On the one hand, the colours can look quite saturated in the rain, so the familiar trip was very pleasant. On the other hand, the lack of light tends not to highlight the autumn colour in photos. However, I will show you what I took, so you can know, as best you can, what it is looking like in these environs.

There was not much reason to stop in the drizzle along the way, but I forget from year to year that there is also not much place to pull over on our rural roads anyway. Once we were almost there, I was able to pull off to capture this little scene with the big ladder and the one colourful tree. It's a little puzzling, eh?


Right next to it, along the road, I liked the fence and the colourful row of trees. I do like this photo, but it is really the only one from the day that I feel that way about.


We ate our pancakes, French toast and maple sausages, but we didn't bother walking around the compound in the drizzle and were soon on our way home. We did stop along the sugar camp driveway on our way out of the property to capture this bend in the road.


I also captured an image ↓ of the glacial erratics off the side of the driveway. If you have been here for any length of time, you have seen them before. If you're new, I can tell you that they are boulders that were dumped by the glacier, probably 10 to 20 thousand years ago. (I will let FG confirm or correct my guesstimate.)


On the return trip, I did find enough room to pull off the main road at Playfair where OUR Mississippi and not The Mighty Mississippi River crossed. It's the same river that much later flows through town.


I walked back toward Sue and the car, which you can see on the right. We drove straight home from there.


It was a pleasant outing which has become part of our autumn ritual. As we had left the premises, I told the cashier that I would see them in spring, and she wished me a good winter. 

======================

Oh! Ed left instructions to make an emoji, but it posts like a big photo here. It also takes its own line in FB Messenger, but it shows as a regular inline icon in text (Messages in Apple).

If you have an Apple phone go back to his comment on yesterday‘s phone. In fact, I will repost below to save you the trouble. All questions should be directed to Ed, who is smarter than I, which is not necessarily saying a lot, so don't get too puffed up, Ed. 😇

"Do you have an iPhone? If so, the message app has a menu where you can create custom emojis. Hit the plus button to the left of where you type your text, scroll down to "Genmoji" and have fun."

25 comments:

  1. Absolutely lovely colors on the trees!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s been a long time since I I’ve been to the Sugarbush. I don’t think I’ve ever been. Apparently I need to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite the drizzle and not perfect weather day, AC, you did get some good photos even if a bit "moody." And, yes, what's up with that ladder? We have a similar place near here that serves pancakes and you've reminded me that we also need to make a visit, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What amazing autumn colours in the trees, absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you.
      Bitdefender really doesn't want me to go to your page.
      "Phishing page blocked for your protection."

      Delete
  5. Lovely fall pics!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the overcast drizzly days can be amazing for photography. I love the soft light box effect it creates. However, bright colors do deserve bright light.
    Your shots are beautiful and do show off the Autumn colors! I love the road photos! Those curves are so leading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some photos work, and some don't. I do really like the one that I really like. 😇

      Delete
  7. So the rain didn't hold off after all, but pancakes and maple sausages make up for a lot. I like that you told the cashier see you in spring, that says it's a real tradition.
    https://canalsandcitrus.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like a fun day out and great ride. Your breakfast has my mouth watering!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not yet sure what our tree color is going to be this fall. We just left the wettest month in recorded history! Today is the first sunny day since I'm not sure when but likely weeks.

    For those tempted to contact me with questions, please contact my daughters who showed me how to create an emoji some years back. Until then, I was just the standard smiley, laughing, sad emoji face kind of guy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You've inspired me. Sunday we will take a drive to a Vermont town we've never been to and the leaves should be near peak. There's a farmers market /craft fair with lunch offerings.
    The best photo I think was the one of the driveway out of the sugar bush.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the trees and the road curving away. There's just something about fall and the colors that makes me feel more relaxed. It sounds like a lovely visit to the sugar shack. Do they have waffles too? I LOVE WAFFLES.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's family enterprise way off the beaten track. What we had is almost the whole menu. One could get beans, but we don't.

      Delete
  12. I love the river photo...being somewhat addicted to river photos these days. But seeing your fall color was a big plus. Thanks for braving the elements and traffic to capture it. Mmm, pancakes sound good. With real maple syrup of course.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, absolutely gorgeous trees with the curving road. French toast, oh yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like your shots especially the fence.

    ReplyDelete
  15. To my eye, your photos with all the fall color are gorgeous, rain or no. That ladder is a mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I saw Ed's instructions too. That's the solution right there. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous photos! I do not have an iPhone!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! Beautiful colors!

    ReplyDelete
  19. These photos are the sort I could look at and daydream away several hours.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wish I could have stayed in Illinois long enough to see the fall colors. I looked for genmoji and couldn't find it. I looked online and it turns out that the Genmoji is only available from iPhone 15 Pro. Sigh... I only have the iPhone 14. I guess it's time for an upgrade... soon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Even beneath the gentle drizzle, the sugarbush seems to have its own quiet autumn magic, with saturated colours, winding country roads and little scenes that make the journey worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete