Tuesday, July 07, 2015

Blakeney Rapids

Bedrock is close to the surface here, and too far from our town the actual Canadian Shield (ancient Precambrian rock) begins. You can begin to see this ancient rocks exposed at Blakeney Rapids.

Blakeney Rapids is a small but very interesting conservation area, near Blakeney and a little north of Almonte just off highway 29. (click for larger image)



I had all but forgotten about this wonderful little place until my daughter announced that she was going to take the kids there on Saturday. So, we decided to tag along.

Just off the parking lot, before you walk the paths, there is a little open area with a picnic table and this view of the Mississippi River. ↓


Once you begin to ramble through the woodsy area, there are several footbridges.


View from a bridge.

The paths can get rocky in places, but it's an interesting environment.


I liked this boulder with its lichens and moss. ↓


The trails lead to a more major branch of the river, and you can climb down if you wish.


Back at the picnic area, the kids did a little wading.


JJ found the remains of a crayfish.




And we watched this fly fisherman ↓ for awhile before heading out.


8 comments:

ADRIAN said...

It looks a wonderful place.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Oh what a nice place for a walk. My grands always head for the water, too.

Unknown said...

Envy overtakes me. This is way better than the Calgary Stampede

Unknown said...

Envy overtakes me. This is way better than the Calgary Stampede

Unknown said...

Envy overtakes me. This is way better than the Calgary Stampede

EG CameraGirl said...

I agree with Lorna! I'd much better be there than at the Calgary Stampede!! ;)

Mara said...

Those photos remind me a bit of my holidays growing up. Without the flyfisher. I have never seen one of those in real life.

Loved your Da Minion of Canada in the last post. I bet it has been reposted and shared on Facebook many a time!

Vicki Lane said...

What a beautiful place!