Tuesday, September 29, 2009

On Sneezing and Coughing

He was a very nice and helpful guy. We were in a store talking about what to see in Vancouver. He took us to a computer where he Google Mapped the place that he was recommending. He sneezed, politely covering with his hand. He then put this same hand on the mouse and navigated happily.

I don't know how many times I have seen this happen recently. It's bad. Don't do it.

We were once taught to cover our coughs and sneezes with our hands, but we now know that we spread and pick up germs mainly through these same hands. I once had a dental hygienist cough into her hand and then stick it into my mouth. Yuck.

I sneeze and cough into my sleeve these days when I can't find a tissue in time.

Go ye and do likewise.

The foregoing was a public service announcement brought to you by AC who is now home ... where it is cool and rainy ... after being in sunny and dry British Columbia. Thank you.

13 comments:

Diana said...

Oh AC wiser words were never spoken! I get very grossed out sometimes after shopping at Wal-Mart! I want to go home and shower!
Love Di

P.S. I hope you are enjoying your time!

Anonymous said...

It is always good to be home after a long getaway, ever if getting away is fun. Welcome home.
QMM

Ginnie said...

You are so right, AC !! I have a little "mouse" that I keep away from others who work at our clinic and I alway wash, wash and wash my hands. You can't be too careful nowadays.

Donna said...

Think I would change Dentist!Hahaa...welcome home!hughugs

Mara said...

Welcome home!

Ginger said...

As our Safety officer said, "Raise your right hand. Now put it on your left shoulder. You are now in position to appropriately cough or sneeze into your elbow."

Thanks for the public service reminder!

Lorna said...

your humaneness knows no bounds.

Bernie said...

Welcome home, and your health warning is yuky!!!!!but so true, what is wrong with people today anyway...haven't they heard of H1N1
Have a great day A/C......:-) Hugs

Jinksy said...

I never go anywhere without my pocket handkerchief ready to catch those unexpected sneezes should they strike!

Judy said...

Preach it!

ChrisB said...

I also take my antibacterial gel. Have been known to offer some in similar circumstances. It was not well received LOL.

Pearl said...

oh my, the ideas that need saying...

Anonymous said...

It wouldn't be so bad to cough into a hand if only that hand was then promptly soaped and washed. **sigh**