Thursday, September 24, 2009

Raccoons Again

One week ago, we were on our way to the airport. This morning I am sitting in the quietly at 5:30 PDT and typing in the dark. The girls remain sleeping on the air mattress (bless their hearts for giving up their bed) on the other side of the couch, and I sit computing in the dark. I can do that with Pufferpoo's lighted Mac keyboard. Cool, eh?

We've been busy, even when we've been not busy. To wit: yesterday was an unplanned day as both girls had to work and study all day. That left Cuppa and I to our own devices, and we opted to walk the circumference of Stanley Park — around the seawall. We ambled around for much of the day, timing our return to coincide with sunset.

At sunset, we've more than once found ourselves sitting on, oddly enough, Sunset Beach, which is just outside their front door. We watch as Old Sol quenches his light into the cool Pacific. Of course, we've taken photos of this and everything else, but I won't be posting be posting any until I get home. However, I couldn't resist popping in to talk to y'all for a minute since I am up early this morn.

What I really wanted to focus on, although it's taken me three paragraphs to get here, is ysterdays rather unnerving encounter with the local raccoons.

Cuppa and I had been enjoying a snack at Prospect Point in Stanley Park around supper time yesterday. We had finished our munchies and remained in place for some time looking out at the ocean and across to the mountains. When it was time to get up to begin the long trek back to the apartment, we decided to remove some left over food items from our bag to deposit into the nearby trash container.

That was when were were swarmed by four, yes four, bold and frightening raccoons who were desperate to snatch our leavings. Their movements were incredibly bold and more than a touch alarming, let me tell you, especially in light of our experience on the previous night.

We had been sitting in the living room conversing about nothing of consequence when we heard a dog yelping a rather frantic and continuous yelp. When we sprang to the window in alarm, we beheld a large raccoon chasing a woman and her small dog. Really. She fell in the street and was in danger of being struck by a car, but the raccoon was relentless in his aggressive pursuit. Fortunately, she and her dog were able to escape into the apartment building, and the raccoon disappeared into the bushes.

So, you see, when we were swarmed by four of the blighters the very next day, we had every reason to be just a tad alarmed. In retrospect, I don't think they would have actually assaulted us, but I assure you that we were in no frame of mind to test that theory, and we both made haste to leave the rascals behind.

For those who haven't seen it, I leave you with our raccoon encounter of two years past when we last visited Vancouver and Stanley Park. While I'm sure that most locals live here for years without such encounters, we short term visitors seem to attract the blighters. I wonder if anyone captured this latest episode, for there seemed to be some cameras trained on us? In fact, bystanders seemed to think it was pretty funny.

12 comments:

Bernie said...

I think I would of been a bit frightened of the raccoon.
Hope you are getting the beautiful weather in BC as we have been in Alberta.....world breaking and it is absolutely unbelieveable over 33 yesterday.
Sounds like you are enjoying yourselves and hope you arrive home safe and happy. Hello to cuppa and the girls from your friend in blogland......:-) Hugs

Lorna said...

You've probably played a prominent part in that raccoon's nighttime stories to the family. Then, last night, they were gobsmacked to see you. Like meeting Elvis in the airport

Anonymous said...

He obviously was the center of attention in that park. Those other folks probably have footage of you two kicking at the critter. Good to hear from you.
QMM

ChrisB said...

I remember seeing the video before. They clearly have no fear and if they are hungry I suppose that makes them even more bold. Bet you are stars of lots of other peoples photos!

Donna said...

People feed them and they remember it...not the people but the place where food is handed out...Too bad for them...Here, they would probably have to be shot.
Are there any signs that say Not to feed them?hughugs

Unseen India Tours said...

Hello !! Your posts are always worth reading and videos are superb !! I love your Blog..Unseen Rajasthan

Judy said...

I love your travels!

The raccoons are more fun to know about from someone else's experiences!

Can't wait to see the pictures.

KGMom said...

Were these encounters in daylight? or around dusk?
Since raccoons are mostly nocturnal, we are always cautioned to be aware that raccoons that are active in daylight might be rabid. Sorry--that's sort of scary, isn't it.

Mara said...

Oh my, I loved the shoo-shoo! It must have been quite scary though when four of them were crowding you!

Good to hear from you again though!

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Stanley Park is such a jewel in the midst of the city. I remember cycling around the park on a bicycle built for two when my son was about 8. I did most of the work but it was still memorable. I recommend it for you and Cuppa.

The city is full of wild life, not all as bold as the residents you encountered.

Jane said...

This summer when we were visiting Stanley Park, we walked underneath Prospect Point, along by the ocean there, and suddenly what did we spot right by the sea wall in the pebbles below us, but a racoon scavenging for mussels. A very odd place to see one we thought. He did look rather cute and sweet, but we did have a distinct height advantage at the time!

Dale said...

I'd want to carry a gun, although it might attract more attention than the 'coons. Great story, and I enjoyed the video. Cuppa is adorable!