Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Even More Cottage Snaps

I think this post will bring me up to date with the photos that I have been working on since returning home from the cottage, and so, I'll soon have to think of other topics to blog. You can explore the larger versions of some of the photos by clicking on the link underneath the photo. I'd like to think that some of them are worth enlarging if you will permit me such immodesty.

Apart from the house, garage and shed, there are three old structure at the cottage. Oddly enough, I resisted shooting the picturesque but frequently photographed red barn this time. However, it struck me that the following, particular views of the former planer mill and the older barn hadn't been done. Or not much anyway.

Mill and Barn


The planer mill, on the right (above and below), was just that when my BIL bought the place over ten years ago. Eventually, the former owner returned as per the sale agreement, took the inner workings, and left the shell. A few summers ago, Treebeard started working on screening the structure and managed to finish it in time for the wedding last year.

Mill and Barn 2


The Older Riverwood Barn


The other building, the Older Barn, remains just that — older than the more photographed red one . Apart from storage and probable habitation by wee critters, it isn't being used at this point in time. Someone once said something about converting it into an art studio, but who knows if that really represents its future. I would think that it would require a ton of money and/or sweat to accomplish such an overhaul.

The Older Barn 2


The Lonely Friendship Bench

A river forms the eastern border of the large property (above). In this photo, the camera looks upon the part of the river that we normally access if we wish to swim, which we didn't this year — brrrrr! You'll notice that the grass is kept trimmed in that section and that there is a bench. My nephew and several friends built the Friendship Bench a number of years ago. Personally, I think it's time that he return from from his globetrotting and sit in it.

On the Edge of the Hill

I noticed this flowering plant on the edge of a little grade that overlooks the newer barn and decided to experiment with the macro function on Cuppa's camera (the others on this page were taken with mine). My BIL thought he knew the name, but of course I can't recall what he said. In the photo below, you can see the newer, red barn very out of focus (intentional).


On the Edge of the Hill

14 comments:

Ruth said...

You shouldn'd be modest about these pictures. I particularly like the 1st on and agree it would look nice framed. The bench by the river is also a fav of mine as I am fond of benches and water. Great macros too! It does look like fall has arrived.

KGMom said...

What a wonderful place to be able to visit.
And I remember those wonderful pics from last year's wedding. A treasure indeed.

Mara said...

I love the first set of photos, they have great contrast and look absolutely stunning! You don't always have to go to strange places to find beauty!

Diana said...

Beautiful photos A/C. I would be hard pressed to leave such a place! The photo of the lake was perfect!
Love Di

Anonymous said...

I love place like that too. I can take or leave the fishing. I am usually doing what everyone else is doing, and with my brother and SIL is is usually fishing. Wonderful pictures.
QMM

Bernie said...

A/C what absolutely beautiful pictures, I could frame all of them especially the one with the friendship bench. I so enjoyed seeing this peaceful place, thank you for sharing.....:-) Bernie

Kathy Trejo said...

Wow! I love these beautiful photos!

~PakKaramu~ said...

Pak Karamu reading and visiting your blog

MARY G said...

You've got fantastic colour values - are you using a polarizing filter? Or was it just that kind of day.
And I like the composition, especially the first photo.
Nice!

Kila said...

Beautiful photos!

I love old barns.

JunieRose2005 said...

These are just wonderful to look at! And I can just imagine how great it would be to spend some time there! I envy you this pleasure!! :)


Junie

Lorna said...

Like everyone else, I'm blown away by the beauty and artistry of these photos. So where's NikkiDee?

Shammickite said...

How nice to have such a peaceful place to get away to in your spare time. As for the art studio, who is the artist in your family?

Barry said...

Looks perfect for a getaway! You are a very lucky man!