Wednesday, July 15, 2026

Posting About Monday on Wednesday

I am posting in the present tense, but I wrote this piece on Monday, and have just updated it a bit since then. I say this in case the timeline gets confusing.

I am in my chair early in the morning, doing my morning things, such as checking your posts. My casement window is open on the perpendicular, which is as wide as it can open.

When the nights become cool enough to turn off the AC, I do open the window as far as it goes before I turn in for the night. 

When the window is open on the perpendicular like this, there are moments when it catches the sun in such a way that I am almost blinded as I do my morning things in my chair at close to a ninety-degree angle to the window.


It’s not quite blinding me this morning because there is a softening smoke in the air due to forest fires from northwestern Ontario, I think. If I were to crank the window back just a few degrees, it would not reflect like this, but I don’t think of that at night when I try to grab every cubic centimeter of cool air that I can. 

The sun is also reflecting off the computer screen. I do get some interesting light off the device.

And . . .  here I am, back after our walk (still written on Monday). We took a shady route, starting at the market and heading north to the trail bridge. But first, I snapped a photo of our echinacea.


When we reached the bridge, I zoomed in on the purple loosestrife growing down by the rocks. They return to the same spot every summer. One might think that the rushing water in other seasons would wash the seeds or roots away. Strange.


There are always dogs on the trail. Sometimes, they want to say hello. We lingered long enough for the couple to give us treats to hand out. 


Meanwhile, the man talked ot me for a long time about his photography. He seemed to know me and was asking abut my camera and software, and he was probably unimpressed that I now use the phone. I have no memory of previously meeting this man, but I know a lot about him now. :)




20 comments:

  1. So funny that you're known by complete strangers (to you on Monday at least) for your photography. Having fans will do that. Sorry to hear about the smoky air there. Glad you can at least go for a walk by the water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it good practice to just sit in one spot and look for photographic opportunities around me. I can almost find something in the moment that will catch my eye and my lens though much of the time, it really doesn't translate well to others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Smoky air reached us yesterday and is worse today. Sky has a yellow/brown tinge to it and sun is just an orb. Photo at end of my blog added this morning after you commented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we may get some of that smoke too. We did last year. I bought trip insurance for our trip to Colorado in September because who knows what the fires out west will be doing?
    I like the light photos, and of course the dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being able to expound on camera, phone camera and editing, and make sense, makes you a public hero, in my opinion.
    Did you know that purple loosestrife is a noxious weed?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wildfires are a problem everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm hoping for no smoke this summer, but with all the fires everywhere, that's a forlorn hope.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have dark orange sky from the smoke today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Was reading this morning about the fires in NW Ontario. Sigh. I know that oppressive summer smoke well, but so far...not so bad in Alberta.
    I can't grow echinacea in my zone but I sure would like to.
    In your face or not, I find morning sun is a balm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wildfires happen every summer here in Quebec, sadly.
    I enjoyed your photos, dear friend. I love seeing the dogs, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, the wildfire smoke is sadly again moving in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have a rep! Cool beans!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have had that experience of meeting someone I don't think I know and their seeming to know lots about me. Sometimes it's just my faulty memory and sometimes it's because they are silent readers of my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I visit with most dogs on my walks. You have to ask permission.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I wonder if this man knows you from your blog? Those are lovely dogs! I always enjoy bumping into dog walkers. I hope your fires can be contained soon. I enjoyed your photos, the flowers were very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was thinking about you and other Ontario friends with the wildfire smoke. Makes for beautiful sunrise and sunset, but crummy air quality for being outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness they not close as Ontario is a very big place. It’s amazing how far the smoke travels.

      Delete
  17. We have a serious smoke alert until tomorrow afternoon. There are wild fires along the NE part of Minnesota with a few on the Canada side. It's mineral outside. I think maybe you are a celebrity.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That cozy morning routine with the wide-open window is the best, even if the blinding sun tries to wake you up a bit too quickly. Your echinacea photo is gorgeous. Those purple loosestrife plants are amazingly tough, surviving the rushing river water year after year. Meeting the photography guy on your walk made me chuckle. It is always so funny when someone talks to you like an old friend while you have absolutely no memory of them, especially when they get judgy about your phone camera.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Funny that sometimes other people that are doing photography that the gear and the software are the most important topic.
    I do edit but I don't work on it hard unless I am trying to do something artsy.

    I like just trying to sort of get it right at the time.
    Of course your iphone does an amazing job. The best camera is the one you have at hand!!! You prove that over and over.

    ReplyDelete