Friday, July 10, 2026

Cool Morning, Hot Afternoon

It was so hot in Wednesday afternoon when I picked up JJ to drive him to work that I finally engaged the ancient car's AC which, somewhat miraculously, worked. The car thermometer read 32C which is 90F.

The day had begun much better, however. We were downtown for photos and a walk by 9am. Sue is starting to take photos for the summer view of the river scene that she has chosen for her 4 seasonal photos this year. I imagine that we'll be back for more takes before she finds suitable conditions.


We swung through the drivethru and took our coffees to a nice bench overlooking the river.


'Twas very pleasant in the cool of the morning, the moderate temperature abetted by a gentle, cooling breeze. As we sat appreciating both the coffee and the ambiance, a flotilla of geese paddled by bobbing ever so leisurely upriver. I think there were 13 in all. But then another gaggle of 19 came by, so I grabbed a short video of the strange procession.


Believe it or not, a third group swam by a few moments later, probably making it close to 50 young geese in all. 

Upon leaving the park we did our grocery shopping, and I also took Danica to her work. The whole morning had been quite mild, so I was taken aback by the extreme heat when I took Jonathan to work in the afternoon. 


19 comments:

  1. Loved your selfie with the large areas of different colors and textures! Good art, and good subjects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've ever seen so many geese at one time. They have formed a village. You and Sue are looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The geese put on a parade especially for you. 🪿🪿🪿

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loose Goose Convention! Nice morning meeting. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  5. I first read "tortilla of geese"! lol, how fun to see so many.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I were more of a morning person. I get going in the afternoon, which is the hottest part of the day. However, when dealing with 70s, it's not so bad. 90s would be a different story!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has been lovely in the morning. Great fun having the grandies about!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your down town is to pretty. A nice place to live I think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks nice there where you took pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely photos, and the video is so soothing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is something so majestic about geese -- till they poop in your yard!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds familiar. Our mornings have been cool and pleasant, but afternoons are hot. I spend a fair amount of time providing shuttle service for my granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Papaw taxi! So nice of you to take your grands to their jobs. And it gives you a little extra time with the, which I am sure is nice.
    Your morning sounds just about perfect. Maybe we need to get up and out like that. Except with the price of gas, it would start being a cost consideration as the best place to walk--,and get coffee!--is about 15 miles away, with the first 4 being our narrow, twisty road that just sucks up the gasoline

    ReplyDelete
  14. A precise goal keeps you searching for that one perfect photo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is a LOT of geese. Wow! You are the best grandfather ever. I sure hope it cools down for you quickly

    ReplyDelete
  16. A miracle that the ancient car AC actually kicked in for that afternoon drive, because 32°C heat is no joke when you are playing chauffeur. That morning walk down by the river with coffee on the bench is the best feeling. It reminds me of the paths and the park at university; it was always such a calming pathway to walk through. I remember when a class was canceled and I was looking all good. I just sat in the park with a drink and some food and watched people walk by. It was such a great feeling, especially with that refreshing breeze before the real summer heatwaves rolled in. Watching nearly 50 young geese paddle past in three separate waves must have been such a fun, serene sight to catch on video. I hope Sue manages to capture the perfect lighting for her summer seasonal photo project before the weather gets too wildly unpredictable.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The cool, peaceful morning is like the perfect start to the day, making that sudden afternoon heat all the more surprising.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Same thing here; pleasant mornings often lead to unpleasantly hot afternoons.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We have another hot stretch coming but we have been savoring our cool mornings too. I read a thing once...they said that geese will pick up stray chicks as they go along.

    ReplyDelete