Sunday, May 27, 2018

The Front Garden

We have a few weeks in the later portion of May when we essentially do our gardening for the year. We're not finished yet, but it's taking shape.

The view from upstairs: what I see from my den window. You see a lot of mulch and the forget-me-nots in full vigour.



From ground level looking from the front. With the rock only a few inches down, about the only plant that will grow with any success by the driveway are daylilies.  I have added some soil to the bed, which helps a little. We have a few pots with annuals here and there. You can see that we have kept a path between the driveway border and the centre garden to the left.



The very front of the centre garden is full of spring flowers right now. The tulips are almost done; in fact I have already deadheaded a few. The low flowers near the very front are ground phlox. They only do so-so here and will be augmented by annuals once the tulips and foreget-me-nots are done.



Looking at that garden from the back, we can see the changing nature of the garden. As the tree has grown, the left side, as we face the garden from the back, has become shady. This has caused the echinacea to migrate from left to right to chase the sun. I find this quite remarkable. Therefore, we have begun to plant shade plants on the left. You can see a hosta, and there is a heuchera  that is not visible in this photo.



I have to lay some more soil and mulch in that back section above and maybe move at least one echinacea. (Edit: which is now done.)

8 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Looking very sharp AC. Fresh mulch makes a huge difference to a garden. We have 15 bags to place this week.

Joanne Noragon said...

So much color! We were just looking over the mulch bare places, too. Needs to be done.

Tabor said...

A tidy garden. If I just resisted planting big beds maybe I could stay ahead of the weeds. There have been some new studies about the health of soil diminishing with yearly mulching, so am avoiding mulching this year.

Christina said...

I just planted two echinaceas, first time. I sure hope they will like it. I do like your neat garden, well done with all that mulching, so much work.

Mage said...

Wonderful design and plantings.

Marty said...

Nothing better than sitting back and enjoying the fruits of your labor.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

This did bring back memories of when we tended the front and back flower gardens and flower pots at the former Virginia home. And while I did enjoy it at the time, I have gotten quite used to no longer having to garden outdoors. That said, John, your yard is looking very nice and I'll bet you will be glad to finish, but then one is never really finished with gardening.

Jenn Jilks said...

It's a lovely garden!