Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Finally! More Tulip Photos

When I posted  Spring Flowers Outdoors, I ad only one tulip to share: the first of the garden. But 9 days later they were all in full bloom and even beginning to wane. Sadly.

I wanted to get more shots, but I kept being thwarted by wind. Almost every time I looked out the window, it seemed to be blowing rather strongly although I did manage to get this photo a few days later.



That was taken with my macro lens and on a tripod. In post I worked to get a bright, airy feeling.

But then, due to the wretched wind,  I went a whole week without taken another photo. Finally, the wind yesterday morning was much lighter: present but not howling at least.

So, I made the most of the opportunity and took some more photos. Although I also experimented with the macro lens, these were all taken handheld with a moderate telephoto lens (70-300mm). Both the telephoto plus the handholding gave my cranky body a bit of a break. Rather than crawling through to garden, I was able to more or less keep to the sides.

All of these photos are shot with at least some degree of backlight. When I looked with the sun behind me and facing the flowers, it just didn't look good, and I didn't take any shots. They are also all taken with a wide aperture (f2.8) to keep the background soft and blurry.

These are all cropped in post, sometimes heavily and edited with the light and sunny look in mind.





I decided to add one more, this one from the macro lens but still sans tripod. Both the blur and bokeh are somewhat better with this lens for what it's worth.


4 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Great effect. Such a great hobby AC!

Tabor said...

Backlighting works better for me or gently lighting through clouds. I find front lighting is flat and removes the details. Maybe I will post some of my recent flower photos...you are an inspiration.

Mage said...

I like the tightly cropped images best. Yes, you inspire. :)

Jenn Jilks said...

These are exceptional. You've done so well.
That tripod is amazing, too!