Sunday, January 14, 2018

Something

I am trying to learn, trying to adjust my expectations.

Last week our falls prevention exercise class, which is very very moderate, was an eye opener for me. Things which used to be easy peasy weren't anymore. Like those quad stretches where you stand on one foot, grab your opposite ankle, and pull your foot up towards your bum. Ouch!

But it helped me realize that something is better than nothing. While I wasn't exactly working out according to my old definition, I was doing something positive. Doing something is better than sitting. Right?

I've had some hand weights for quite awhile now, but I've never been too committed. I would start at 10 lbs per hand and work my way up to 15 lbs doing three sets of 12 reps. I even got close to buying heavier weights a few times. But then, I'd get out of the routine, and I would only get back to the weights a few months later and more or less have to start all over again.

But more that a year ago, I pretty much gave up for good. My left elbow started to protest bicep curls, and my shoulders didn't much appreciate the strain on them on some of the other exercises. Discouraged, I stopped.

Today however, my pectoral muscles are sore because, after that very long layoff, I descended down to the dungeon (basement) to pick them up and do a little something because now I know that something is better than nothing.

I did just 1 set of up to 12 reps with only 10 lbs, the bare minimum. I couldn't even do 12 reps of bicep curls with my left elbow being what it is, but I managed 6 and kept going with my right arm.

Something is better than nothing.

I am really trying to learn that, even though I am not very quick on the uptake.




10 comments:

Shammickite said...

I have a set of those hand weights too. I must remember to dust them once in a while......

Joanne Noragon said...

Until you pay the price of the loss of strength and stability you will not know, or even realize the cost. Some people can maintain the discipline of maintaining strength by themselves. I cannot. I literally pay, and should pay more to do more. I don't.

Country Gal said...

Yes something is better then nothing , They now say sitting about is the new smoking so best to move about . I love going for walks and I do stretches every morning for half and hour and go out in the yard and walk about with camera in hand just incase for if I don't I will be no good physically to do anything especially this time of year as it makes me ache, stiff and causes pain for me , but as the saying goes no pain no gain OUCH ! lol ! . Hope you keep on the move keeps things limber blood flowing and your mind and body healthier. Thanks for sharing , have a good week !

Marie Smith said...

I start at 2 lbs and work up every time I take up weights again. Bands work well too.

Debbie said...

weights, what are they again?? hehehehe

good luck!!!

John Going Gently said...

I'm John too but not humdrum either.. nice to visit

Jenn Jilks said...

I have 12 lb. handweights, and I use them to keep me in shape. When the snow flies, I don't need to use them. Also, during gardening season and when our winter wood arrives. In the in betweens, it keeps me ready for that activity.
Good for you for getting out there, but walking is the important activity, isn't it? And you do a fair amount of that.

Mage said...

That's it. I do all that annoying stuff in the hot tub at our gym. After my water aerobics class. LOL

Vicki Lane said...

Dang -- I need to go find my hand weights.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

So right about that something is better than nothing and since the start of the year I've been getting to the gym here in the apts nearly daily. I enjoy listening to podcasts and so it keeps me occupied for 60 minutes. perhaps I will work up to trying some of the hand weights next.