Saturday, September 23, 2017

The Golden Helmets

I hadn't heard of the Golden Helmets until the day before when I found out that they were going to perform at Pakenham, a little town about 20 minutes or so north of us. I learned of the event from a photo friend (or would that be foto phriend) who was planning to take some photos, so I cajoled him into letting me ride shotgun.

As it turns out, the Golden Helmets are a precision motorcycle riding team of our Ontario Provincial Police which we always call the O.P.P. They have a long history, and so do I, but I had never heard of them before. Of course, they hadn't heard of me either, so we're kind of even.

A section of the main street was cordoned off and what with being close to the action but at the same time far away as I was in back of most of the crowd, I didn't even try many photos but reverted to video to at least capture a sense of the event. I'll post the video at the end, but I did take quite a few photos earlier.

We arrived early and got a few shots from the parking lot.





Then the squad lined up and headed to the main drag (this section is partly in reverse order which I can't be bothered to fix — oh the shame of it).






A few shots from the street.





A few candid portraits..





And here's the video with my photo friend, Bob, on the cover. There's a brief cameo of him later in the video. How they chose Bob as the cover I know not but he is a fine human specimen after all.




6 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Good PR and great driving! It looks like fun to watch! I enjoyed the video, AC.

Debbie said...

you are doing lot's of cool things in that beautiful country in which you live. we were not able to get to the gardens/park but we had an amazing adventure and vaca anyway!!! and thanks for the heads-up and info anyway!!

Vicki Lane said...

They look like they're really enjoying themselves!

Donna said...

Love to watch things like this! Fun video!
hughugs

Mage said...

Gosh that's a lot of fun. Moments of pure thrill too. Thanks.

Jenn Jilks said...

They were in Perth awhile back. Love them.
Aha. Set. 15, '13.
http://mymuskoka.blogspot.ca/2013/09/opp-golden-helmets-in-perth-ontario.html
Now, pertinent to your post, I could not remember if it was 1, 2, or 3 years ago!
And things just a few months ago, could be years, too. Or vice versa!!!