Sunday, July 16, 2017

Hawthorne Mill

The Hawthorne Mill was built in the late 1800s, and despite being owned by various people and having various names, Hawthorn has stuck.

It was a woollen mill that produced serge for British army uniforms in the early 1900s and cloth for the RCAF (Royal Canadian ir Force) in WWII. However, it is said that it was never too very profitable and has lain a'moulderin as it were for any number of years.

But it has been purchased and will be turned into condos plus a restaurant in due course. There was a open house last week, and I couldn't resist showing up. People were also allowed to scavenge for a donation, and some visitors partook of that enterprise.

Me? I was just there for a few pictures. Shocking, I know.

This is the building or the main one of three. What you can't see here is that there is a river behind me, so it will make a very nice setting for condos.



One of the first things that appealed to me inside was this door.



There was no evidence to me of the earlier woollen mill, but there was evidence of activity.






There were many rickety stairs, which I did force myself to climb although my knee wasn't faring too well on that day.




On the top floor, except apparently there was another staircase to the rooftop, which I did not venture to, some windows were open. The first photo looks east, more or less toward downtown, and the second looks out on another building in the complex.




What a major conversion this will be. I trust someone has deep pockets, and I'm sure someone does.

8 comments:

Marie Smith said...

Curious to see the skeleton of past ventures exposed that way, AC.

Dogman said...

Does the "lain a'moulderin" form a Frenglish pun on mouldering wool in any mind but my own? Nicely done. Looks like a place I'd love to photograph myself, before it gets cleaned up.

Debbie said...

a great idea, (condos) and i would have gone for the same reason!!!

Shammickite said...

Oh boy, I'd love to wander round this place before it gets smartened up and condo-ified. What a great building. I especially like the views out of the windows. I'm always happy to see buildings restored to new uses. So much better that letting them fall down, or even burn down, as so often happens with empty places.

Vicki Lane said...

I wondered about the pun too. Well done! And hope you'll keep us updated on the progress of the conversion.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Converting former mills into livable space is quite in style these days especially here in New England which was home to so many mills. Here in NH, we are living in what was once a mill that produced flannel blankets. We have seen some photos that show the giant looms once in thee buildings and of the canal that is now the underground parking. The mill in this post looks like it will need quite a lot of work to make livable spaces, but I;m sure that with enough financing it's quite doable.

Jenn Jilks said...

It's so good to see buildings being redone. Some simply ought to be knocked down, though. Many have too much romance in a falling apart building!

Mage said...

With those thick walls, this building will make dramatic condo's. I'' love to live there.