Thursday, July 06, 2017

Fifteen Paltry Bucks

Sue recently read a post, Nobody Wants Your Stuff. The gist was that we collect and save certain artifacts because they mean something to us, or they seem too valuable to toss, or they meant so much to someone else that we can't bear to discard them. Therefore, we should take pity on our children and deal with these treasures in our own lifetimes.

Not long after Sue pointed this out to me, the truth of the thesis was made very clear.

You see, in her later years, when she could afford to do such a thing, my mother collected a very pretty set of china: Blossom Time. Of course, she paid a pretty pence.



She added to the set piece by piece until it was complete: tea pot, serving dishes, the works.



It is quite a lovely set, and we have maybe used them a handful of times, or maybe handful is actually overstating it because they sure haven't been used very often.

After I was advised of the notion that nobody wants your stuff, I saw a Blossom Time set being advertised on Facebook for 15 bucks. That's right, 15 bucks for the whole set. Fifteen bucks for the set for which my mother paid hundreds of dollars. To be fair, I don't know if it really was a 100% complete set, but still — 15 bucks — for the set. Not just for a dish but the set. Fifteen paltry bucks.

It's true, nobody wants your stuff; it has no value.

But we might as well hang onto it anyway because ... well you know.

And then there's our own set of barely used serving ware. Good luck with that, dear daughters.

I found this site which explains that the set was designed to tie-in with the Apple Blossom Festival in Cornwallis. It was produced from 1933 to 2001, 2 years before Mom passed away.


13 comments:

Mara said...

Well, the set for sale might have been a 2001 set. That would hardly be worth anything. A 1933 set might be worth a lot more. But money isn't always everything. Your mother obviously loved the set so much to pay good money for each and every piece. And I must admit: it is a lovely set!

Shammickite said...

You should buy it. Only fifteen bucks. A bargain.

Tabor said...

I threw out my current set of flatware and brought the stainless set that I used for fancier times. We use it every day now. Still have some silverplate from hubby's mom. I should start using that! Use that China, don't let it collect dust.

Marie Smith said...

Use the set! Get some enjoyment from it! That's my motto anyway!

Jenn Jilks said...

We auctioned off my late parent's things. Mom had more than 50 tea cups. She hosted parties all the time. The auctioneer wold them in lots of 6 or $10, or something...
That said, mom had a 2 cube size box of her to sell, plus other fine wares. We did make enough money to pay off the cost of shipping it to the auction!!!
It's times that are achanging. I use my moms fancy plates and put them in the dishwasher. The gold trim doesn't interest the kids. It's a dam plate!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Sad, but true, that many older items that were purchased at a higher cost are going for much less now. It's a good thing your late mother didn't see tat set for $15. I have silverware that my late mother collected through Betty Crocker and she onky used on special occasiins. I replaced out stainless pieces with hers and use them daiky and even out them in the dishwasher. Inhave seen that pieces can be bought on ebay or etsy, but have no plans to sell them, despite having to use the silver polish every week.

Debbie said...

beautiful!!! i like the colors and the pattern!!! i especially like the teapot!!!

Jim said...

We all have those precious things that are worthless to others. I have gifted the complete set of fine china that my late wife brought to our marriage 48 years ago to my son, since my daughter "never liked the pattern." She, on the other hand, was gifted my mother's fine china, circa 1941, when Mom and Dad were married. Both kids were happy.
I have silver plated flatware and serving pieces stored away, probably turning black with tarnish that were wedding gifts, and stuff we never used much as we didn't "travel in that kind of circle."
I still store the "Daisy" dishes, our first set of everyday china. My daughter keeps saying she would like it, but never seems to come pick it up!! I might have to give her an ultimatum: "you get it soon or the Goodwill Store does!" Then there's the hoard of Christmas decorations...well, enough about those! The dishes your mom collected are beautiful, John, use them!

troutbirder said...

We've been going through the same problem as we made a joint decision to begin to downsize. And I discovered "Craigs List.

Rick (Ratty) said...

I don't think I own anything this good, so I know nobody wants my stuff. Even my computers are built by me and look like they were made by a mad scientist.

Vicki Lane said...

I'm struggling to de-accession my own stuff as well as my mother's and grandmother's. Not easy.

Mage said...

That's awful. Just fifteen miserable bucks. That's all. I should see what my china is worth. I'll let you know. LOL

Mage said...

Blue Ridge Southern Potteries runs about `12 bucks a plate still and 200 for a big set. Russell Wright Iroquois plates are about 29 for two, 15 for two veggie bowls and 300 for a partial set. It was fun to look it up.