Sunday, May 08, 2016

Allans Mill

The weather was finally cooperating on Mothers Day weekend, so out we went for a little exploratory road trip. Somewhere on the internet, I had heard of a ghost town, although 'town' is rather overstating it, west of Perth.

The 'town' was Allan's Mills, and the old mill still stands more than a century later: Allan's Mill on Allans Mill road, there being no apostrophe on the road. The population of the community itself is estimated to have been from 50 - 75 people, but aside from the mill, the derelict general store and one house, there is little evidence remaining.

According to this website, William Adam was born in Ontario in 1833 and by 1872 had built the mill, his house and opened a post office.However, by 1892, the mill wasn't prospering although the post office kept operating until 1914. Judging by the condition of the Coca Cola sign, the store must have remained in operation for some time.

The mill from the north side with the general store further down on the right.
From the south, looking north.
Various views, below.







The former post office, general store and blacksmith shop, all in one rambling building.




Allan's original, fine home remains inhabited.


Adjacent to the mill on the south side, some old wall remains and what is apparently a studio,


There are some sculptures around the premises, including inside the walled courtyard.


If you're local and want to see it for yourself, just plug Allans Mill into your map app, and you'll find it with no problem, about 10 km from Perth just north of the Scotch Line.

15 comments:

Mara said...

What a beautiful building. I love buildings like that. Symmetrical and sturdy. I could see myself living in one of them. Doing them up and all. But alas, over here 99% of buildings are made of wood.

Marie Smith said...

Such a grand old building. I wonder does it have any supernatural inhabitants?

Blogoratti said...

Weather is soaring here, lots of sunshine. That building looks like its got some history. Greetings!

Mage said...

Could that be a Henry Moore? Fascinating place. Great shots.

TexWisGirl said...

you had me at stone walls. neat!

Kay said...

Wow! What a really cool looking place!

Jennifer A. Jilks said...

What a great find!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

From the views shown, it seems that you and Sue were solitary explorers. And it's nice that the weather cooperated too.Old buildings are such interesting photo ops.

ADRIAN said...

This is very interesting. Well worth a day poking around.

Jennifer A. Jilks said...

Well, I Googled it, and you weren't far from us! Ferrier Rd. - I visited Mr. Ferrier Sr. in long-term care, when I was doing friendly visits before hubby got cancer.

Ginnie said...

Oh, WOW ... what a treasure ! I love it when you take us along on your jaunts. I wish I lived closer although I guess most places have "gems" if we just look for them. Thanks, AC

Hena Tayeb said...

interesting.

Vicki Lane said...

Wonderful buildings!

Kathleen's Blog said...

Wow--what an awesome excursion!!! I absolutely love old buildings like these. Thanks so much for sharing these fabulous pictures---wish I was closer, I'd definitely have to go for myself!!

Justin Matthews said...

Hello, hate to intrude on the conversation but I grew up there. The house. The post office. The honey house. The mill. I spent most of my life growing up there. Helped build some of it up. The sculpture that is in one of your photos is actually my dad's. John Matthews. Funny that someone had mentioned if it was Henry moors because my dad worked with him for many years. Has some of his art work. I am glad to see so many people who think it is as beautiful as I do. And to the person asking about the supernatural. Well I have had some thing happen over the years I still can not explain. But no beings to my knowledge. If you have any questions. Please contact me at mr.jmfm001@gmail.com my name is Justin.