Thursday, March 31, 2016

De Agony of DeFEET

Although aging beats the alternative by a long shot, it sure tests one's good humour on occasion.

Today, found me at the Pedorthist for about my 4th adjustment to my orthotics in 6 months. We just h.a.v.e.n.t b.e.e.n a.b.l.e to get it right.

In case you don't remember (because I almost don't remember and maybe I am misremembering that I once posted of this) I am lacking some cartilage in my right foot. Oh, and I am the lucky recipient of bone chips in my ankle as well. It all stems for a very bad sprain about 30 years ago. It took me quite awhile to get over it, but then the foot was pretty good for about 20 years.

About 10 years ago, although it didn't get too bad, until about 7 years ago, it started to hurt when I walked, and I eventually got the above results — missing cartilage and floating bone chips. I have avoided surgery (fusing bone where cartilage is missing ) because I cannot fathom how I could possibly manage to not put weight on that foot for 6 months. There's just no way that I can see myself hopping about on one foot at this age with that other knee not in the best of shape.

So now my orthotics have to work to help relieve the pain as well as perform their original purpose of ameliorating plantar fasciitis (heel spurs). It hasn't been going well, which is why I keep going back for adjustments. I am resigned to the reality that I will always have to endure some pain when I walk, but I was hoping to reduce it. Time will tell, we may have succeeded today. If not, it will give me another chance to whinge and whine to you at a later date. You see, if one blogs, there is always a bright side to misfortune.

I was going to proceed to tell you about yesterday's appointment with the audiologist, and title this post with something like Head to Toe or Top to Bottom or Stem to Stern, but this entry is long enough already. So let me get back to you on that Head part, will ya hon?




12 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

aww! sorry anvilcloud! hope the adjustments can help give you some relief.

Marie Smith said...

And this is the golden age! Right!

shortybear said...

praying you get relief.

Country Gal said...

But we are aging gracefully YEAH RIGHT ! more like falling apart lol quick get the Gorilla glue as hubs says lol ! I don't have a full tail bone as mine was floating about after I fractured it and chipped a piece off when I fell on it on a lump of ice many years ago I dont sit for long periods as it kills my butt and shoots the pain into my back I also fractured my ribs when I rode horses blew out my knee when I played hockey and fractured my wrist , they say a fracture is worse then a break so when it is damp and cold I am in pain from head to toe lol ! Hope the adjustments help and you can find relief ! Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

Vicki Lane said...

Yikes! Quel bummer! As my late mother-in-law used to say, 'Old age ain't for sissies.' I once made a list of all the things that are wrong with me, beginning with the thinning hair and failing ears, planning to work my way down to the hammer toes, but it got too depressing and I quit.

I hope the adjustments bring relief soon.

Kay said...

Oh OUCH! I'm so sorry you're having so much pain. My brother also has that foot problem and can no longer walk long distances. Unfortunately, it's affected his weight. I hope you're able to find some really magical orthotics to help alleviate the pain.

Tabor said...

This aging process should come with a better guidebook or at least an outline!

Jenn Jilks said...

oh, no. I think my hubby had this a number of years ago. Prostatae cancer has consumed us lately, though!!!!

Ruth said...

From my observations, getting older is one pain after another. Glad to see your discomfort hasn't stopped your explorations.

Mara said...

Nothing as bad as constant pain when moving about. You tend to move less when you know pain will come. At least, that's the case with me.

Hope you will be able to have it resolved though.

MARY G said...

Oh OUCH! And yes, I think you did blog about the ankle, but can't remember when.

Donna said...

Well, thank God we don't have to blog standing Up!Lol
Hate to hear you're having pain! Not Fun!!
hughugs