Saturday, December 12, 2015

December in our Family Tree

I have been doing a bit of genealogical research, and mostly spinning my wheels, but I have found quite a few December moments in what I know of my family tree.

  1. Our first daughter, Shauna, was born on the 20th and came home on Christmas Day.

  2. My maternal grandfather was born on Christmas Day, 1879.

  3. He got married on Dec 24 1913

  4. His wife, my maternal grandmother, died on Dec 21 1949.

  5. His parents married on Christmas Day, 1871.

  6. His wife's (my maternal grandmother) parents  were married on Dec 31 1872

  7. Her mother died on Dec 26 1908

  8. On the other side of the family, my wife's, Sue's, mother died on Dec 26 1992

  9. Edit: Well that was stupid. I forgot that my own parents were married on Dec 12 1936

So a number of December births, deaths and marriages, both the good and the bad. Despite the bad, we remain a family that rather likes December and Christmas.





7 comments:

Unknown said...

A/C so glad to visit your blog again. Seems with a lot of folks on fb blogs have fallen behind but I like to write, and I know you do too, so blogging it is. I am so proud of Canada and the immigrant issue.

Donna said...

Goodness...December really was a busy month for your family!
Hope it turns out to be a wonderful month for you all!
hughugs

Marie Smith said...

Glad you're at the family history. December is momentous for your family. Were they farmers and married at the end of the season or was Christmas the attraction I wonder?

Shammickite said...

Hmmmm... I'll have to go through my files and see if December is an important month for my family. The only date that springs to mind is my dad's first marriage on Dec 26 1908. Family history research can be so rewarding!

troutbirder said...

A good month for you. For us not so as we lost our son in December to the effects of bi-polar disease.

EG CameraGirl said...

I find it fascinating that a lot of things happened to your family in December! It seems very curious!

Mara said...

Glad you found out a bit more about your family history. A lot of dates in my history are around the holidays as well, but I have this funny feeling that in the past it wasn't as much a holiday as it is now. Seeing that people got married on December 25th or January 1st which (at least in the Netherlands) are not possible nowadays, being official days off for civil servants.