Tuesday, June 09, 2015

Goodwood Marsh Nature Trail

Having just posted about the Beckwith Trail and about the fact that I hadn't visited any parts other than the McGregor section, I decided to visit the Goodwood Marsh nature Trail several days later.

I don't know if it is technically part of the same trail, but it is in Beckwith Township, and it does seem that one can more or less connect from one section to the next.

The official entrance is to the west of the Township Arena: go to the end of the tarmac and turn left. You will soon see this sign.


The gate to the actual trail begins a little way past the entrance sign.


We all know that marsh equals mosquitoes, but it was cool enough that morning that I thought they might not be swarming. Besides, because it was cool, I was pretty well covered except for hands and face, so they shouldn't bother me too much. I was both right and wrong. I was well covered, but the skitters were active enough despite the somewhat low [for June] temperatures. As long as I kept walking I wasn't bothered much, but whenever I stopped to take a picture there was buzzing all about.

I had hoped to see flowers, but I was disappointed. I saw these two patches of fleabane (erigeron) fairly near the entrance, but there was virtually nothing afterward. Maybe a different season would bring different results.



Befitting a marsh, I did see a lot of standing water.




But the whole place isn't marshy, and much of the trail looked like this.


Let's face it: kilometre after kilometre of this sort of view soon becomes monotonous, and it's a pretty long trudge around the whole loop.

I was beginning to wonder where the trail would come out. I didn't recall seeing evidence of a loopback when I entered, and I was fervently hoping and trusting that I wouldn't have to turn around and walk back along what seemed to be a  neverending path by that point.

And then I saw the kids playing soccer, and I rejoiced.


So, I entered the trail to the west of the arena but exited to the east. I was near the parking lot and my car, so I was quite happy about it.

So really, with mosquitoes and all, there isn't much to see except green: lots of green. If you go, you might want to wait until autumn has had its way with the insects. Even then, I suspect that you would see all that you need to see by walking five to ten minutes in and then turning around and walking back out. I don't see much need to walk the whole circuit.

Indeed, others must share that opinion because I was the lone visitor that morning.

12 comments:

Country Gal said...

Lovely photos . looks like a wonderful place to hike . When ever I go out in the woods , trails or go swamping I always wear a bug net over my head they have them at the Bass pro shops and they work wonderfully I also wear thin cotton gloves and that all seems to work to keep the skeeters away from biting me I dont use any repellent especially when I have my camera as that stuff can ruin your lenses if any gets in or on them . Thanks for sharing , Have a good day !

Mara said...

There is a small nature reserve close to where I live and I always expect lots of flowers, but am disappointed every time. Although during the autumn there will be plenty of toadstools!

ADRIAN said...

Some grand shots of green all the same.

Tabor said...

The human eye can see hundreds of shades of green! Marshes are always intriguing to me. Full of life that we fail to see.

Anvilcloud said...

I am sure this is true, Tabor, but when you're confined to a narrow trail and very busy swatting, the vision becomes limited. ;)

Linda Kay said...

John, I would have been bored as well. I like to see something different along the way, and I would Not like to be around all the mosquitoes.

TexWisGirl said...

the marsh is pretty, but immediately i felt and heard the mosquitoes. :)

EG CameraGirl said...

Hmmm. I don't think many marshes are very colourful this early in June. :)) A breezy day is better - less mosquito problems, usually.

Donna said...

And also as you're running from those mosquitoes, flowers rather take second place...Hahaaa
At least you tried. Too bad the woods weren't that fruitful.
hughugs

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Perhaps the lack of visitors was due to the mosquitoes being out and bussing about. It truky is no fun walking when yiu are swatting at thise annoying busses.

Unknown said...

What I got from your post today: reminder about mosquitoes and that beautiful shot of the divided trail. thank you

Unknown said...

I entered the Goodwood Trail about 2 pm Monday March 5, 2018, and it was gorgeous, a bit icy in spots and a little marshy in other spots but I had no difficulty traversing the path. I am looking forward to seeing the trail change to the beautiful greens of your photos. I must say though I was actually disappointed in the length of the path, the sign said it would take 1.5 hours but I only took about maybe an hour, I was wondering if I had missed part of the path. The next time I will check out the "Maplewood Trail" (I am sorry I don't remember the proper name). Maybe if I circle around it will be a longer walk. Of course .. no mosquitos today. Hoping I would be allowed to ride my bike on the path, I didn't see a no cycling sign. And next winter I'll definitely cross country ski the path.