Sunday, May 03, 2015

Ashton

Ashton is a little hamlet about a 10 minute drive from our town. Every now and then we pass through Ashton if we choose to take the backroads home from the city. Last week, I was doing something unusual — driving sans Sue, so I took a few minutes to stop and grab a few snaps. It was windy and chilly, so I didn't stay long.

↓↓ A triptych of the Presbyterian Church, 1879. It seems to have been a residence ever since we have been in the area (10 years), usually with firewood piled out front. The disused church speaks of a different time when there 4 churches in this hamlet. The other 3 remain, but I imagine that they struggle to stay viable.


Pretty much across the street from the church is a garage of sorts with an interesting old vehicle out front along with a bit of rubble. Keep in mind that this is main street. ↓↓  Of interest: I did spot any number of gleaming motorcycles out back, but I chose not to encroach. Maybe next time.



Back on the church side and just a few doors down is the General Store. ↓↓ I'm not sure why I didn't go in: sort sort of shy attack, I guess. But it looks interesting, and I'd like to return.


If you look in the left and blurred distance of the above shot, you see the location of the next diptych shot of The Old Mill, commonly called the Ashton Pub. ↓↓ It doesn't look too appealing on the outside but it said to be authentically English on the inside.

I have been there once but quite a long time ago, and I don't have much memory of the pub, except that it was quite a hot day, but here is a little online review that I found.
Having spent 3 years in UK I can honestly state this is a better "Brit" pub then most in UK. There are great pubs in UK as well but the food sometimes leaves a bit to be desired. Not so The Old Mill!. Great food, craft beer on site and great atmosphere...like the Public Houses of old!  Trip Advisor
It kind of inspires me to go back. I wonder how they feel about cameras on the inside.

7 comments:

ADRIAN said...

This is a fascinating little town.

TexWisGirl said...

adorable little store! i'd stop in at the pub, too. :) living in a church would be odd to me (as i live in a big gazebo).

Unknown said...

I've put Ashton on our list of Miata trips. I'd like to poke around that church.

Mara said...

That photo with the old car looks like it was taken sometime in the fifties/sixties.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Great road trip photos, John. And, I agree that a trip back to poke around that General Store is a good idea.

Mage said...

Just a delightful jaunt. I feel sorry for the church doors tho. They aren't keeping the weather out at all well.

Regenia said...

I would love to see how the owners haved turned a church into a home. Maybe they will be on HGTV at soe point.