There were two problems. For one thing, I don't have a really long telephoto, so I would likely scare them off by having to linger too close. For another thing, it was been so dang cold that I wouldn't want to hang about outdoors anyway: not for any length of time for sure.
My solution was to set up my camera on a tripod, focus it on the appropriate bird feeder, set up my remote clicker, retreat indoors and hope for the best.
It worked -- sort of. I was able to click from the warmth of the house.
There were two problems. (What two more?!)
With the camera focussed on the feeder, the birds soon became out of focus if they weren't precisely on the feeder. This was especially a problem because those durn jays were in and out so fast that they were mostly coming and going. Sheesh! What skittery creatures!
Anyway, I got a few. Not the best, but I'm glad that I tried.
I now have a 13x19" printer, so this is what I printed for Al, whose feeder this is. It is also in recompense for him doing a little handiwork for us -- something at which I am clueless. This is a copy of it. Please take careful note that my math was a little off and I didn't get the middle photo centered quite right, vertically. Sigh. It won't hang in any gallery, but I hope Al likes it a bit.