Saturday, August 23, 2014

Our Final Week with the Kids

My goodness. Summer hols are almost done; the kids have one more week before school begins. Mom is with them next week, so our stint is done. It was a long week. The weather was not good for pool time; in fact, it was so rainy for two days that we were confined indoors. It did not help that I spent one of those days plus two nights in some discomfort -- from something I ate, I suppose.

One day, we did enjoy a nice little hike on a path near the river.

A bit of the path with Danica being Danica and Grandma hobbling along as she has developed a sore hip just lately.
It is quite rocky on the south side along parts of the trail. I took this photo of Dani with JJ exploring in the background.

On the north side of the trail there are a few little footpaths down to the river.
I took one of these paths and grabbed this shot looking downriver.
On one of our stops, we encountered this Green Heron, which didn't seem to mind our company. I think it's green although I didn't see to much green in this light. I should have another go at this photo as it is a bit underexposed. Oh well.
At one point, we met a couple walking six dogs. Two were their own, and they were helping to train the four dogs in this photo as they were dogs with 'issues'. More about the jumping dog in the next photo.

He was an Austrian bird dog of some sort and was trying to catch pebbles that the kids were tossing. He put on quite a show, and I hope he didn't swallow too many pebbles. The trainers didn't seem concerned anyway.
We got as far as the overpass or under the overpass before starting back.
At a final rest stop, Sue and Dani took a moment to fan themselves down after all of the exertion.

17 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

hooray for grandparent duty! :) sorry for your ills, though.

looks like a vizsla.

Ruth said...

Another great set of pictures. I like the composition of the one with the children and their backpacks toward the camera. A very compliant Green Heron and the action in the dog photos also make good photos. Our weather was not summery this week either. Hoping Grandma's hip gets better soon!

Bernie said...

I really like the over/underpass shot. Hope Sue's hip is better and also hope your feeling better.

Tabor said...

You have had a long and eventful time with your grandchildren. Going to miss them, I am guessing. Hoping grandma gets her hip rested up!

Ann Thompson said...

looks like you had a nice day there. Love that shot of the underside of the overpass.

Judy said...

Beautiful, as always!

EG CameraGirl said...

So sorry your week was not as good as it could have been. I hope you and your wife are now feeling much better.

Pat Hatt said...

Wow, that pup can really really jump. Hopefully he doesn't think snacking on pebbles is good haha

Country Gal said...

Wonderful photos . Looks like all had a fun time ! The jumping dog looks like a Hungarian Vizsla we had one many years ago lovely dogs . Thanks for sharing , hope your feeling better . Have a good day !

Mage said...

I'm always charmed by your photographs. Really good stuff.

Toyota Corolla. We got one of those years ago for George as his commuter car. Ours has the older engine that get's exceptional milage....40 MPG. I love my truck, but not for road trips.

Mary said...

Lovely photos, John. My favorites are the creek and the water. The superb one is Grandma and Danica. That is awesome.

Hope you are both feeling better soon. I think the stomach bug is going around. I had a terrible bout yesterday but some better today.

Jimmie Earl said...

Great pics once again. Love the one of Sue and Dani.

Mara said...

First of all I hope both you and Sue are feeling better now. I have just been going through a back log of posts and photos and am as always so impressed by the photos you take. And every time I see your two grandchildren I am amazed at how beautiful they are growing to be. Of course they started out right as well...

Regenia said...

Great pictures, like always. I am so sorry to see Sue having to use a cane!!

Pearl said...

great action shot of jumping dog. happiness is a dog in a river.

too bad it was chilly, but still not bad for nearly September.

Hilary said...

Hopefully you're both long on the mend by now.

There are some very lovely images here, AC. The last one is particularly endearing and of course who can resist an exuberant dog. :)

That is indeed a green heron.. a juvenile. Great shot.

Donna said...

Cool shots Ac!! Love them All, especially the jumping dog!
hughugs