Wednesday, April 02, 2014

In Seasonal Transition.

On Sunday, after hints of spring in the previous few days, we awoke to a fairly major snowstorm. I some desperation, I decided to take some photos of a pot of daffodils. Sue had added some styrofoam easter eggs to the pot to give it an additional touch.



This ↑ is a solar-powered butterfly also stuck in the pot. Of course, it was indoors and not fluttering at the time.

You wouldn't think that a picture with such colour would translate well to a bw photo, but I like the version below.


Then, Sue had the bright idea of sticking the pot outside the door in the snow, just for fun. So, I did.

On the next day however, spring resumed its march. We opened the windows a crack, but I thought the kids playing in the snowy schoolyard across the road was another good juxtaposition.


At this time of year, I sometimes begin to assist mother nature by reversing the snow shovelling process. I begin to shovel snow from the pile on the lawn onto the driveway to speed up the melting process. I am keen to do this because one year, when I finally cleared the snow, I discovered that tulips had grown under it. I'd rather that not happen again.



The day before, when I began the process, JJ thought we should excavate a little niche, so I enlarged it. ↓

The snow won't last long now (he said, crossing his fingers). However large the pile looks to you in this photo, it's almost 1/4gone already. Once the melting begins, it all happens quickly. I even carved out two little ledges for them to sit on.


Predictably, they thought it was rather wonderful, and played in there for more than an hour after school, soaking themselves in the process.



They shovelled ...


jumped ...


and even had their after school snack in there.


What fun!

8 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

oh, you had me faked out for a minute. :)

Donna said...

Wow...now I'm freezing!Hahaa...Cool photos!
hughugs

troutbirder said...

I'm so glad to see the grands having fun in the snow. Here there predicting a blizzard for Friday. YuK! I though your daffodil/butterfly in the snow on the deck was wonderful. It showed the proper "attitude" about this endless winter...:)

Anonymous said...

brings me back to the days we spent hours building snow forts and then pelting each other with snowballs. Good times.

Lorna said...

I thought I'd feel content never to compliment your grandchildren again, as a gabillion seemed a reasonable number...
As for the b &w butterfly, I'm saving up to have it biggified to transfer to a shawl, inspired by you and Etsy. I'll email the Etsy link if I can find it again. And yes, I've heard about "history", but can't find it on this tablet

Dale said...

Love the image of potted daffs in the snow. The photo symbolizes joy. Defiant joy. And hope. Thanks, John.

Gail Dixon said...

So cute watching the kids eat their snacks in their igloo. :)

Gina said...

Ha, the only way it could have been better is if you had sculpted a little table. But that's asking a bit much.