Sunday, April 15, 2012

Photographs of a Dawdler

I took the boy out for a little stroll the other day. What a dawdler he is. AC with his sore foot is a very slow walker, but I still have to wait to wait and wait and wait for him to catch up. He is the complete opposite of his sister with whom I cannot keep up.

The good point to his dawdling is that it does give one time to snap many a picture. I have recently been reminded that it doesn't work to have kids look at the camera and smile. It is not natural for them. Nikki Dee tries very hard, but her smiles are blatantly fake and just plain weird. No, with little kids, it's best to catch them in action. That's what I was attempting to do in this series.

He is standing on a pile of gravel, about ten feet high and sticks out his tongue as he tosses a rock.


Let me give you a few pointers, Buppa.


His stern look.


Balance is the key to living a good life.


Shall we dance?


Something has caught his eye.


He desperately wants to climb these poles but sometimes it's all that a guy can do just has to hang on.


Having a stare down with a Power Ranger that belonged to Althegal about 25 years ago.

17 comments:

Ruth said...

You are right- posed photos often miss the mark. You hit the mark with this series of pictures. One of our children is a dawdler, but how observant and intuitive she is, even when grown up.

Sue said...

Fabulous photos!

Ginnie said...

It's interesting that the two grandkids are so different. I love how you've shown us the "real" boy !

RVVagabond said...

A boy just being a boy--what great photos! Because I walk a cat outside, I've had the chance to notice things that I would never see simply walking by myself because I would be walking much faster then. Sometimes we simply sit if there's a convenient rock or tree stump around and then I can find the odd spider web or interesting anomaly in a tree's growth pattern or the tiniest wildflower. Slow is good.

ChrisB said...

What beautiful photos AC. I have just been reading a lot of your back posts. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed your musings. BTW that was a lovely pic of Cuppa on her birthday.

Jimmie Earl said...

Wonderful photos. Makes me want to get out the camera and take my "baby grands" to the park.

Mary said...

Love this little collection of the dawdler. well done!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The candid shots are usually the best, AC, s you well know. This little guy is really growing fast into a good looking boy.

Bernie said...

Love the "Dawdler" series....he is a cutie AC.....:-)Hugs

Mara said...

He could be the manager of a football team in that 'pointer' shot. And I love his boots!!

Diana said...

I will try your photo advice next time I am with the grandkids A.C. Although I think that I already tried that and my photos still stunk! I still think a bit of talent is needed as you have clearly shown us in these photos which are very cute! I love the Power Ranger stare down! Love Di ♥

Donna said...

Hahaaa....love the "stare down" shot!
Oh Ac, he's Beautiful!
hughugs

MARY G said...

All good, but the 'something has caught his eye' is a classic.
I always try to catch the subject doing something, even if it is an adult. Camera smiles are not ever much good, especially if the D is saying something like 'limberger' just to be different.

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

What's the rush? It can be good to be a dawdler. There are things to see and experience. I trust he enjoys the detail and not the bigger picture.

I love that he has that little boy "puppy cut" of a hair-do.

Hilary said...

Adorable. Candid photos are always the best.. particularly with kidlets.

Regenia said...

What a great way to start my Saturday, having coffee and viewing photographs of a handsome little guy TOTALLY savoring his walk. I'm unable to pick a favorite. I think they're all equally delightful.

Pearl said...

yeah, kids have the oddest ways of trying to fake smiles. where does it come from?