Saturday, April 07, 2012

Losses

I mentioned how Chad was killed in an auto accident the year after I taught him and had moved to another school. He was the third and last of my students or former students to have been taken this way.

The first occurred to Tyler in my very first year of teaching. He sat at the front of the class and was a very pleasant boy. He came into my class late, I think because he had recently transferred to my school. Whether he had recently moved to the area or just transferred schools, I can't recall. He did live in the country, so it was odd for him to commute to the city school in which I was teaching. One day he didn't show up to class, and the students advised me of the fatal accident.

About fifteen years later, another former student, Katrina, was also killed in an accident. I had taught her in a country school in the previous year. This was the most difficult passing for me because she had been an excellent student and enjoyed participating in my class, discussing Shakespeare or whatever literature we were studying at the time. I went to the funeral home to pay my respects and told the family how much I had appreciated having her in my class, and they replied that she had mentioned the class and enjoyed it.

I still remember her boyfriend, the driver who had escaped with few injuries, sitting forlornly all by himself while Katrina's family received us visitors. I'm sure there was blame, but I admired that he showed up when he must have felt absolutely terrible. I didn't know him, so I didn't offer any words of comfort, but to this day I still feel badly for him; the family at the very least had the comfort of mourners, but he had no one.

Although I spent more time teaching in a city school than a country school, all three of these kids lived in the country.

When I first moved to the country school, I heard about an activity called crop touring. Although first puzzled, I discovered that it was a euphemism for kids driving and drinking around the countryside. I don't know how much of it actually went on, and neither do I know for certain that any of these three accidents involved alcohol. Of course, I have my suspicions. Sadly.


7 comments:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

All three are sad stories with the same ending no matter what activity these young people were involved in at the time. Hope your weekend is more cheerful, than these recent posts, AC.

Donna said...

Oh Bless your heart and Theirs!! My 9th grade boyfriend's dad had bought him a new T-Bird for his 16th birthday and he drove it off the Brazos Lake bridge...I'll never understand why...Sometimes, it just happens...You were a part of their lives for whatever the reasons...
hughughugs

Bernie said...

Okay I used your link AC and had no problem, don't know what happened the past couple of post.
Anyway I really felt these post, to loose a child is horrible. I feel you were a wonderful teacher and would of been proud to have you teach my children. My heart aches for the boyfriend in this post, he seems so alone and probably full of guilt, blame and pain. His girlfriend's family would of been devastated. You know as long as there is a world there will be drinking, driving and deaths especially among teenagers. They think they are invincible and I wish they were. All we can do is raise them the best we can, we can't live their lives for them.
Take care my friend, wishing you and your family a Happy Easter...
.....:-)Hugs

Mara said...

In the Netherlands you are only allowed your driver's licence from 18 onwards, which takes care of the younger 'offenders'. However, there is still quite a problem with young drinkers and also young reckless drivers. It has gotten a bit better over the last few years, but when an accident happens with young people at a weird hour it usually involves drink.

Hilary said...

Unimaginable loss for everyone involved. Heartbreakers.

Ruth said...

So sad to have a life cut off so young. I don't think a parent ever gets over losing a child.

Kila said...

It was 24 years ago this week that 4 classmates of mine were killed in an accident, due to alcohol and driving too fast in the countryside. Lost control and hit a tree.

I hope Katrina's boyfriend is doing as well as he can be these days. I can't imagine living with that.