Sunday, October 03, 2010

Signs of the Season

In preparation for winter, I'm sorry to inform you that the battening of the figurative hatches hath begun. Canadian Thanksgiving will be upon us next weekend, and as turkeys cower in corners in an effort to look too small to cook, the rest us us can hear Jack Frost whistling in the distance, and we tremble too.

Yesterday, we cleaned out our tiny, barely-one-car garage to make room for Harriet the Chariot whenever the nasty truly weather threatens to burst upon us. The bikes were hauled into the basement and other items were stored in the garage's overhead shelves. So we're ready to drive the car in on a moments notice.

First steps were taken in readying the gardens for winter. The impatiens were pulled although the perennials have been allowed to remain in ground for the time being. I swear I can hear their petals chattering in the cold, however.

This morning, I felt compelled to extract our little portable heater from the depths and use it to warm up the bathroom prior to showering.

Furthermore, as temperatures descended to 15°C/60°F this morning, I eyed the furnace thermostat with lust in my heart. I did resist as the mercury began to climb to a balmy 16°C/61°F (please note the palindromishness of those numbers) and hopefully higher, but I will probably cave in any day now and flip the heating switch to the on position.. What can I say? I'm soft.

Meanwhile, I find comfort in wearing my hoodie in the house. We baldies lose the heat and feel the cold on our uppermost extremity, and I can't afford any more brain freeze than is normal to my sluggish thought processes.

That's all I've got today, which I don't think is all that bad considering that it's not yet ten o'clock and that I've already been up for seven hours. I did have two hours of sleep, however. I am forced to take what I can get ... and down the Tylenol like it's the most delicious candy known to humankind. Fortunately, I had a good book to keep me company through the bleak hours. It helps — quite a lot actually.

9 comments:

Bernie said...

It's funny that I have turned my furnace off this past week, I did have it on some days in September when it went to 5 - 9 in the mornings.....brrrrr
We are now having beautful weather and it is suppose to stay nice for a while.
Have a great week.....:-) Hugs

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Cooler temps are reaching us in Maine, AC, as it was 36F at 7 a.m. but thankfully has warmed to near 60F. We are not quite ready yet for winter and thankfully the VA eastern shore doesn't get cold too much in fall cause we have yard projects to complete in Nov.

Ginnie said...

Thanksgiving next weekend? I had forgotten how far ahead of us you are. Do you do the whole Turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie routine, like we do??
One of these days I'm going to get up to your lovely country and see for myself.

Mara said...

I've had the heating on for a few weeks now. But most of the time it doesn't even warm up the place, since it's warm enough (apparently) in my living room anyway! Thermostats are great!

Anvilcloud said...

Yes Ginnie, we do it up just like you do or at least close to it. I guess since it doesn't begin our Christmas season, it's maybe not quite the same.

Ruth said...

I flipped the furnace on (most reluctantly) last night when it was 16C in the house. Next week should be warmer, at least for a few days.

Ginger said...

I'd say "Bring it on," but then I am rather protective about preserving the low energy bills in those lovely "shoulder months," if indeed "months" they be... Our trees here are only just starting to show some color other than green. We think it won't be a very brilliant autumn on the eastern side of Washington.

Jinksy said...

If Tylenol is anything like aspirin, it'd banish my ability to sleep into the wide blue yonder. However, Ibuprofen, coupled with a relatively full belly, can usually guarantee a modicum of sleep, at least.

Donna said...

I'm sorry you're still not sleeping Ac!! How horrible for you! There MUST be Something that would help you...I'll start researching it....
Thanksgiving...Wow....already. Guess I'll go look for a Christmas tree....
hughugs