Monday, May 11, 2009

Mothers Day and Trilliums

There weren't a lot of active options on a cloudy and cold Mothers Day, but we knew the trilliums were out and decided to ramble around some of the local rural roads to have a look.


We found many many clumps nestled in the woodland fringes just off the edges of the roads. This was one of the larger. There's no detail in the following photo, but there are sure a lot of white splotches, each being a trillium.


For those who don't know here is what the trillium, Ontario's provincial flower, looks like up close. They bloom for only a short while each spring, and they're only found in less cultivated, rural areas.




There are also red trilliums, but I have never seen one in the wild. In fact, I'm not sure that I have ever seen one anywhere except in pictures. So, here's a photo that I found and stole. As far as I know it isn't copyrighted, so I don't feel too bad about the theft.

9 comments:

Mara said...

What a lovely flower. I prefer the white one though, the red one looks a bit fabricated.

Ruth said...

Red trilliums are easy to find around here, but the whites outnumber them greatly. It was such a cold, drizzly day that we celebrated Mothers Day by going to see Star Trek!

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

When I was a child the forest floor around our home in Toronto, Township, each Spring the forest floor what a white carpet of Trilliums. There do not seem to be any Trilliums here in the North. I guess they are limited to the Carolinian Forest. We easily found the rare red ones. We were forbidden to pick them.

KGMom said...

Lovely flowers--a fitting flower for an official provincial bloom.
Does the name derive from the three petals--trillium=tri?

Amanda said...

What lovely pictures ~ the flowers are very pretty.

thailandchani said...

Good grief! These pictures are gorgeous!



~*

Donna said...

Gorgeous flower! AND! I had to blow up the second photo! Looks like Bigfoot was walking through the woods!!Hahaaa...hughugs

Barry said...

I've never seen a red trillium, although my wife tells me she has seen many down in the Rouge Valley.

Beautiful pictures! Now I need to keep a look out for the real thing!

Woman in a Window said...

Found and STOLE! HA! I think it's about time for me to get out into the woods, although I think our trilliums will be behind yours. Pretty photos, even the ones not lifted.