Sunday, February 22, 2009

An Odd Tradition

So far, so good: I've been up for more than an hour, and I am not yet feeling the headache that had befriended me for more than two days. Consequently, I feel that I should write something, preferably not about grandchildren for both your sakes and mine, change being a good thing after all. It shouldn't be that difficult since I haven't seen them for several days. Except, nothing much else has been going on, so I'm not too sure what else to write about ........

....... I could say that we'll be heading over to Thesha's to view the Oscar spectacle with her tonight. It's an odd tradition that we've kept up for years now, even though neither she nor we usually see most of the films. In fact, I don't think any of us have seen any of them this year. We almost roused ourselves to drive in to see Slumdog yesterday, but headaches got the best of both Cuppa and me. The last time that I can recall having much of a stake in the outcome was the year that the other film, that of forgettable name, beat out Brokeback Mountain for best picture. What were they thinking? I do remember seeing that other film, and while I thought it was good at the time, let's face it, the fabled and illustrious Academy got it wrong. Not that I'm bitter. Oh no, not I.

But, whether we've seen the films or not, we always seem to get together with Thesha. There will be munchies and wine (I trust), and both Thesha and Cuppa have been known to wear their tiaras. SIL-lee will ogle the women (except he will be away this year), and, being too old too care about women (if you can believe it) I will wonder what the heck I'm doing there.

We even plan to sleepover this year because SIL-lee will be away this week, and our services might be needed to help get Mom and kids through the night. If not, we can still try to help get things sorted and running in the morning. We'll see how it goes after tonight; I wouldn't be surprised if Nikki Dee spends a night or two over here this week as she is still prone to difficult nights, and there is now another baby in the house to demand attention. While he is a bit of a chillbaby, he is still a baby, and you just never know when he's going to act like one.

Okay then, AC over and out.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like fun! Benjamin Button might be worth watching... anything with Kate Winslet is usually good. My friend went to see Slumdog and all I got out her was, "I don't think I want to go to India." It's got brilliant rreviews so I may go and see it.
I like to see what or who (dahhling) they are wearing... it's on too late here though so I'll wait for the re-run. Have fun and I hope the headache stays away. ( I think it may be over here! hehe)

Jinksy said...

I hope you have a tiara too? May all headaches stay away henceforth...

Ginger said...

The yearly Oscar-watching bash: it's a GOOD thing! I intend to follow a similar path, although I don't think the family will be joining me....

Mary said...

AC,

Headaches are no fun. I used to get migraines, but thank goodness nowadays I seldom get any at all. That is a relief.

Glad you are keeping up the tradition. It's always nice to get together and Jordan tells me sleepovers are a lot of fun. lol

Have a great time and enjoy.
Blessings,
Mary

Ruth said...

I find the Oscars utterly boring, likely because they never feature films I have watched. I am not a celebrity watcher either. Oh well, I have plenty of DVDs to choose from of movies I do enjoy but didn't have the necessary depressing story lines to be Oscar material.

Amanda said...

I haven't seen a good movie for a while now ~ though i do want to see Benjamin Button.
Hope you are better and those sore heads stay away.

Anonymous said...

I too will be watching the Oscars this evening. I too have not seen any of the favoured movies.. but I have heard so much hype about them that I almost feel as if I have. :-). I must admit to usually finding the show entertaining.

Heather Plett said...

Slumdog Millionaire is DEFINITELY worth seeing when you get a chance. That's one of the only Oscar contenders I've seen, but I'd say it's definitely worthy of a statue or two.

Judy said...

Sorry about the headaches.

I think I've finally kicked the one that has been kicking me since too long ago to remember.

I've not seen any of the nominated movies. I do have it recording on the DVR, so if something truly astounding happens, I can watch it.

I find more enjoyment looking at the pictures of your grandkids.

Whenever I wonder what I used to do BEFORE grandkids, I go back several years in my blog and notice that things were quieter then, but not nearly as fun.

Garnetrose said...

I am back. Finally. It is so cool reading your blog. I hope you have a fun night at the Oscars. I was sleeping and did not get to see any of it. I did hear Penelope Cruz won one and I was pleased at that.

Donna said...

If I hear when it's going to be on...I run. We could care less about Hollywoods clic-club award night. It's gotten to where politics plays too big a role in choosing...Happy week!!hughugs

Woman in a Window said...

I think you'll use any excuse to run away with that little girl! Your grandparents are just plain addicted, might as well face it.

Lorna said...

I feel passionate for a couple of days about the Oscars, although the ceremony makes me cringe. I always feel like they didn't get it right and wish I could do something magical, but I loved Sean Penn in Milk and Penelope Cruz in Vicky christina barcelona, and I always admire Kate Winslet, so it wasn't too bad this year. Hope the headaches back off