Saturday, November 29, 2008

Sometimes, It's Hard Being Me

I am a strange duck. You see, I'm sick and up: up at 2:30 AM after hardly sleeping last night and being on babysitting duty most of the day and evening. On one hand I'm dead tired, and on the other I'm wired. How you can be both at the same time, I know not.

Most normal people sleep when they're sick. It's Nature's pathway to rejuvenation. At least that's what I have been told and what I have observed in other people. Our youngest, for example, had a great knack of sleeping it off. She'd feel poorly, have a long, long nap and bounce back as fresh as a daisy.

I remember once coming down with a very bad flu, and when the doctor said that I needed to rest and sleep, I told him then what I am am telling you now. He assured me that with the meds he was giving me, I'd be sure to sleep. Newsflash: the doctor was wrong!

Sigh. Sometimes, it's hard being me. But I'm going to go back to bed and try again.

9 comments:

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I hope the second attempt works and you sleep in late. You could listen to the CBC Overnight programming. Works for me!

I hope you feel better soon.

Ruth said...

Well wishes sent your way. Sometimes those "symptoms" make it impossible to sleep even when you are dead tired.

ChrisB said...

I do hope you manage to get some rest and feel better soon.

Mary said...

I can understand what you are going through, as I have had the same problem many times. It seems we are dog-tired but just can't sleep and the more we try the worse it gets.

I hope you were able to get some much needed rest. Be sure and take 3,000 mg of Vitamin C per day and it will help you beat this thing. It really does work and you can't overdose on Vitamin C.

I love the little stool that Nikki Dee is standing on in the previous post. Cuppa was right about that, but Grandma's have a knack about knowing what kids like. Thanks for sharing the photos. I loved them. She's a darling.

The photos of the snow are pretty. We don't have any accumulation, though it has snowed here a few times lately.

Take care of yourself and try to rest when you can. I hope you are feeling much better soon.

Blessings,
Mary

KGMom said...

Let's see--if things work opposite for you. . .drink full strength coffee and then go to bed.
Or walk outside without a coat for a couple of minutes, and then nap.
Or. . .
Whatever.
Sorry--I am not making light of your predicament. Actually, I understand--when I get a cold, I DON'T sleep, even though I want to.
Perhaps forget about trying to sleep--just sit back, relax, read something gentle. Sometimes rest is enough.

Woman in a Window said...

Sorry you're sick. If you're anything like me don't go near that cold and flu medication. The sleepy time one gets me buzzing then I'm crawling around and my hands and knees intent on being productive but feeling like crap. Get well, you.

JunieRose2005 said...

AHH-AC,

I'm so sorry and understand exactly what you are going through-for- as you know from reading some of my posts- I, too, am one of those sleepless souls! (Yes- even when I'm sick)
I DO hope you were able to, finally, get some sleep, tho! (we ALL have to have a little sleep!)

Take care.

Junie

PBS said...

Oh that sounds horrible, hope you get some sleep to recuperate soon. I think it depends on just HOW sick one is. When I'm only sort of sick, sleep comes easily. Not if really really sick, which it sounds like you are suffering.

Simply Coll said...

I so understand being wired and tired all at the same time. But even with that I think perhaps that the word rest (rather than sleep) may be the key. I also completely understand how sleep can elude. I hope you are feeling better soon.