Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Odd Couple

Cuppa and I are an odd couple, indeed. I just stole into our bedroom where she's been sleeping for hours. That's one odd thing about us; she needs a ton of sleep these days and gets it while I need hours less and get even less than I need.

Anyway, I stole in and left four sheets of photographs by her bedside. Each sheet contains four 3x5 photos of the wedding. I had almost forgotten that she wants these to take with us on the weekend. I did four per sheet to save on paper and ink as these photos will serve a temporary function. In other words, I'll print up more, better ones later ... sometime before I die ... maybe ... at least that's the intent. The relevant point here is that she needs me to handle these kinds of tasks for her. If she needs a photo printed or blogged, I set it up for her. She could possibly learn this art, but it would not flow easily.

While that's not odd in itself, you might think it strange that I also carried in several loose objects that I want her to box up for me. You see, finding boxes and packaging objects inside of them is not one of the things that I excel at: not that I excel at very many things really. I could possibly learn this art, but it would not flow easily.

This is how we muddle through life in some sort of unspoken dance to which only we know the steps. Cuppa does what she does, and I do what I do, and as a couple we somehow get done what needs doing. When we go somewhere, as we will this weekend, I'll do the macro planning of routes and money and things while she figures out what we need to take, and what we should do with the cat, and who should keep an eye on the place and so on. Believe it or not, she has template lists on the computer for these sorts of getaways. These are not short lists!

Not too long ago, when I was over at the kids' place alone one morning to tend to Nikki Dee, I had to ask SIL to remind me about working their infernal coffee maker. He shook his head resignedly as he pondered me and my request and said, "You and grandma; you can't live without her, and she can't live without you."

True dat.

14 comments:

Woman in a Window said...

When I was young, wild and feminist I would have rebuked this whole order but now that I'm older, wiser, and lazier I see its merrits. My husband's list is short but as of late has started to grow. It's topped with GARBAGE. That's always worth a good laugh and makes me wonder if that's why he has difficulty working through the rest of the list. Maybe he just thinks it's all garbage?

KGMom said...

Oh, AC--preaching to the choir. How true, how true. I almost shouted AMEN.
Anyway, very similar situation here. No wonder long time couples who have worked out their mutual dependencies are lost when the one dies.

ChrisB said...

Sounds like a perfect partnership to me!

Janet said...

I think all of us have that going on to a degree. The Mountain Man taught me how to actually build a fire in our wood stove last night (as opposed to just keeping it going, which I can do). He was completely flabbergasted to learn I had never done such a thing. But I am the one who does the superglue repair work. He cooks, I do dishes. It works. :)

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

I wasn't married long enough to perfect a symbiotic relationship with my significant other. I think this is true as her parting shot as she left was "And you never carried your part of the load around her!"

Having a young son to raise I soon learned to do it all and for years chased women out of MY KITCHEN.

With my son I often said, "It has to be done and there is only you and I here. Either you do it or I do" With that he usually pitched it. He turned out to be a better help-mate that I was apparently.

PBS said...

I never got to that point in my marriage, either. As a single parent I muddled through it all. But it sounds very nice!

Mary said...

Sounds like you too are perfect for each other. It all gets done with a little team work.

Hubby and I are much the same. We both have disabilities. What I can't do, he does and vise versa. That also is the case in other areas such as finances, banking etc. What one doesn't excel at the other seems to, so it all gets done eventually.

Enjoy your getaway and be sure to post about it next week.

Just thanking you once again for your sentiments on Aunt May. I appreciate your words of comfort and support. She is still with us and I have a suspicion that God is using her to teach her family a few lessons on life.

Blessings,
Mary

Heather Plett said...

This is a lovely post. I love the comfort of two people who have shared years of living and are so comfortable and in tune that they beautifully blend their skills and abilities.

Jules said...

I love it. Working together is one of the most important things in a relationship.

When it comes to pictures, computers - well, really any electronics, it's all me. God love Ron but he just gets frazzled. When we go away for a certain amount of time, I do the packing for all 4 of us - I'm anal that way because I want to make sure we have everything.

So when it comes to cooking and using that machine that sucks (vacuum), it's allllll him :)

Safe travels!

Anonymous said...

Seems to me that you two have something special and it's working perfectly! :o)

Ginnie said...

Sounds like a perfect arrangement to me. My husband and I had one similar...he took care of the outside of the house (cars incl.) and I did the inside.
It's good to be back and to catch up with you.

Turtle Guy said...

The oddest of couples make the best of friends, don't you think?

I hope you're enjoying your getaway and looking forward to a post about it when you return!

D.

Mary said...

Thank you so much for your kind words in the passing of Aunt May. Your support and friendship is greatly appreciated.

I hope you had a great time on your getaway. I'm looking forward to hearing all about it.

Blessings,
Mary

Pearl said...

You two sound like sweet mates.