Thursday, September 11, 2008

On Becoming Less Young

Becoming less young is a rather fascinating experience. I have to put it that way — less young — because I can't see it, or at least can't say it, as becoming old yet — not yet!

Although I am now over the sixty hump, and the idea of becoming less young isn't as novel, I still find myself wondering at the process that is inexorably occurring to me, the processes occurring within me.

Tonight, it's the right leg. It's five AM, and I've been up for hours and slept fitfully before then. The leg from rump to knee along the back is causing me grief and some fascination. For some time now, I've experienced soreness of the back legs, and although Celebrex has helped lately, it's not a total cure. I take it in the morning, and it has often seemed to wear off before the next morning.

But that's a nagging general soreness of an ache in both legs. Tonight, it was multiplied by five or maybe more in one leg only, and I don't know if it's the same thing or something different. Why one leg and not both? Why tonight when I can't think of a cause?

Three strong Tylenols and a hot bath have helped somewhat but only somewhat. It helps to be up doing too. Even though the pain is still there, one can work through it to some degree. But when you lie there in the stillness trying to find the unconsciousness of sleep, it's too loud and insistent on the nerves as it were.

So I got up. Had my Tylenols. Tried to rest in my Lazy Boy. Got up again. Went to the basement to find the portable heater to warm the bathroom because it's really cold tonight (what's up with that?). Came back upstairs to find that Sir Cat had gifted me with a puke. Cleaned it up. Ran the water. Found a dry towel in the closet. Explained to my Sweatheart that I was not really hosting a convention. Squirted eyedrops into my sleepy eyes so that I could read in the tub. Soaked. Towelled. Went to bed again. Got up again. Blogged.

My prose seems quite wonderful to me now but by morning it will probably read like Sir Cat's earlier offering. What's the old saying: Many are called; puke are chosen?

I don't know what's up with the leg. I have a big day planned for Saturday, have had for quite some time now. It involves a lot of driving followed by a lot of sitting followed by a lot of driving. Will I have to cancel because of this stupid leg thing? Should I call the doctor? Can she see me at short notice? Would she have a clue anyway. I mean it does seem rather bizarre. How should she know what it's all about?

But it is fascinating, this business of becoming less young. I have observed that almost everyone has symptoms of one sort or another. Compared to some, I'll take mine and be glad — except for the cat puke and the possible letdown looming on Saturday. It offered me a blog topic after all.

10 comments:

Ruth said...

You describe classic symptoms of sciatica in your right leg, pain that originates from your lumbar spine. It is aggravated by prolonged sitting and is often transient. A physiotherapist or chiropractor could be helpful. Hip arthritis can also cause leg pains as can problems with circulation caused by smoking. (I don't envision you being a smoker.) Pain identification needs a good detective approach. I hope you find some help.

KGMom said...

Ahhhh--AC--the "joys" of getting older.
I certainly resonate with your ruminations. I sometimes am awakened by leg pains, and now recently by "charley horses" cramping my calves. Horse and calves!
Aging--it is not for the faint of heart.

Donna said...

Ruth is very smart...hahahaaa...you should listen to her....OkOkOk...I won't say the Chiropractor word...hahaha...But they DO Help with ALL these symptoms...including Sleep!!hughugs

Janet said...

Less young is a most excellent term, and I shall be using it from now on.

I hope your variety of aches and pains make themselves scarce soon!

PBS said...

I really LIKE your term of "becoming less young"! Physical Therapy really helped my sciatica of last year. Your pain really does sound like it might be sciatica.

Woman in a Window said...

Aw, and Celebrex isn't even one of those medications that one is left smiling after on an afternoon commercial. Too bad.

You are over 60! What dazzles my brain is that old looks older and older each day. I'm almost 40. You don't look any older than I'd say 45. That'd put me back at 28 or so. That's where I'd like to park my sore bones.

Gretchen said...

Hope your leg is better soon.

I have the same feeling on getting less young. I don't look my age anymore than you do. Make up a age and just recycle your years. It's what I've been doing for the past 15 years. I just know there are many grateful 20 year olds out there that are happy to get my extra year. :)

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

With me it is my left knee with is painful swollen and stiff. I limp around a lot. The last pig fight I got in the middle of made it worse. Such pains require Promethean courage.

Anonymous said...

I have been troubled with sciatica for years.. and I must agree that your symptoms do sound familiar. At least with myself.. it is something that comes and goes. Meds help.. but so does gentle stretching and exercise. It might be a good idea to see your doc. A bout of physio therapy might really help as well. Good luck with this. I so understand this "less young" business.

megz_mum said...

The "less young" thing is never easy - even with my younger-than-your years, I also have less-youngness-things happening.