Wednesday, March 12, 2008

What About Grandma?

After posting a number of blogs about Grampa recently, I spent some time editing and printing a lot of information for a family booklet of sorts. From a one-off post last November, it has all suddenly become involved and time-consuming. In addition to scanning photos and writing the material, I have found myself searching through records on Ancestry.com. While I've certainly uncovered some information there, it has taken quite a bit of time because I don't know what I'm doing and how to properly record information. But I'd like to persist; I wish to do what I can while I have access to all of the records for a free, two-week trial period. After that, it begins to cost, at least for information beyond the basics. Another time-consuming task that I've appointed for myself is entering the data into the LDS program called Personal Ancestry File. It's not as though I didn't already have enough to do, you know. Oh well.

Once I learned what I could, for now, about Grampa, I turned my attention to his wife, my paternal grandmother. There's less photo album information about her and her family, but there is some, and I've also learned a little more from Ancestry.com.

Let's start with a map from Google. Using information from the album and the internet (mostly the internet), I have plotted all the places that I think my grandmother or her folks lived in Kent County at various times. The blue area on the map below is it, the whole stomping grounds of the family for three at least generations and goodness knows how many before that until my grandmother emigrated to Canada.


While the area might look large enough on that map, it's only about 40mi/65k in length and 25mi/40k at its widest. While we all know that mobility was much more limited in times past, it still surprises me a little bit to realize just how tiny their range actually was — for generations. The six pins within the shaded area represent where different people lived at different times, but to keep it simple for now, my grandmother was born and lived near Bexley and North Cray, which is near the aqua pin at the top to the east of London.

That's probably enough information for one post. No doubt, I'll post more with some photos in the near future.

6 comments:

Donna said...

I've often thought about using Ancestry.com for more info on my Dad's side of the family. May do it! Thanks for the info...hugs

Janet said...

My father's father's line isn't recorded on Ancestry.com. (his mother's is.) Mom's side is already done - both father and mother. My grandfather's grandfather was an orphan. We've found older families with the name, but we can't find the connection between those families and my great-great-grandfather. Once the kids are in school, I want to take up the reins again.

ChrisB said...

Ah we are but a small island compared to the vast expanse of Canada. So even if we moved from one end of the country to the other it still wouldn't be very far.
Looking forward to hearing more about your grandmother.

Lorna said...

I was born in Sutton Valence, which is quite near to Maidstone, where my mother worked during the war.

mreddie said...

It is interesting indeed to find out about our forebears. I read of a woman that found out too much about one of her's. It seems that one of her anscestors died of a neck injury in the old west - he was hung as a horse thief. :) ec

Anonymous said...

Again you are inspiring me. I have often felt curious about my own grandparents. I know them mostly through family stories, never actually meeting my paternal grandparents. I can also well appreciate the time that would be involved in this adventure.. so I may just hold off until I am retired and can put more energy into it. I can see how I would quickly become all consumed in the venture.