Saturday, March 29, 2008

Subsiding ... Slowly

I had determined not to mention snow again this year, but Ginger had to ask if our snow had gone away. Of course I must answer; it would be impolite not to. As of yesterday, you can see that it had pretty much gone away.



Just kidding. Obviously.

Digging OutAlthough the snow has disappeared by the end of March in the past two years (compare to March 09 on the left), this winter has left a much bigger heap than normal, so it lingers. However, it really has subsided quite a bit in the past week because although the temperatures haven't soared, most days are reaching above the freezing point. A day or two or rain and several days of bright sun have also contributed to the decline of white cover. We have yet to experience those one or two really balmy days that sometimes grace us at this time of year, but when we do, I trust that the pile will be reduced even more significantly.

I'm sure that this photo will help y'all to appreciate your local environment this weekend. You're welcome. :)

15 comments:

Sue said...

I'm really glad you post your snow pictures. It reminds me what I'm missing... or rather what I'm NOT missing! We had a slight heat-wave here (for the end of March) last week when the temps were over 27C... back to a more normal 22-ish now, much better.

Snow is very pretty when you see it in a photo, or out of the window!

Anonymous said...

I like to look at snow after a heavy flurry when everything looks pristine and untouched but when it starts to defrost it looks messy and when its discoloured. I do appreciate that we have no snow but after a morning of sunshine it is now belting down with rain... those great big wet drops you sometimes get! ;o)

Ginger said...

Thanks for the update. That is one HUGE pile of snow, still. It's currently about 3C and cloudy here with rain predicted and snow on the hills, so I am rather drawn to the sunshine in your picture. On the other hand, our trees are coming into bloom, now, which is lovely.

JunieRose2005 said...

WOW!!

Still a lot of snow piled up there!!

...And my spring is almost over...


Junie

Janet said...

That much snow should be reserved for ski resorts. I will have some flowers for you in a day or two.

Cathy said...

Thanks, AC. I did need that.

If I exclaim: HOLY COW!

I guess you'd understand:0)

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

It is a beaytiful weekend here. You have much more snow than we do.

It looks like you still have time to dig a snow cave and sleep outside for a night! http://www.outdoorswithdave.com/camping/building_a_snow_cave.htm

Donna said...

LOL...I was just wondering how on earth you manage to see out the front window!!! My Word!!hughugs

Ruth said...

The view from my window right now is much the same as yours. I guess we need to be thankful for a slow thaw. Looking forward to your spring template!! ;-)

megz_mum said...

Wow, you still have a very impressive pile of snow there! At the risk of being perceived as a nit-picker, I just want to let you know that the photograph of snow in March 09 is impressive. I have heard of retrospectoscopes, would this be taken with a futuroscope?

Anonymous said...

OMG.. I can't believe how much snow you still have. You guys have really taken a hit this year. A couple of weeks from now (maybe sooner) it will all be gone... hard to believe.

KGMom said...

What a weird weather year--I just read today in the NY Times that your area of Ontario has near record snow.
And our area of central PA--we have had 1/3 to 1/2 the AVERAGE amount.
Weird. We have had too little, you clearly have had too much.

Jane said...

After viewing your snow pics I won't complain about our few inches again!

Anonymous said...

Wow, i have never seen that much snow in my life! Looks like fun, but i'm sure it's not. I live on the west coast of Scotland and we never get any snow. My 2.5yr old has never seen snow!
Amanda.

-epm said...

OK. You win the snow war.

But your streets look much better than mine. That's what's really driving me nuts... I can't get my motorbikes any farther then the end of my driveway!