Thursday, March 27, 2008

Phew!!

What a weekend that was! The girls flew home last night, and things were sure flying around here before that. It was a busy enough weekend anyway what with their visit, Cuppa's birthday, taxes to prepare, essays to write, meals to cook, and wedding details to attend to, but computer problems just about drove us crazy before it was all over.

Without getting into a blow by blow description, let's say that we discovered that liquids and laptops are not compatible, and student Althegal lost the use of her Macbook on Monday evening with essays due soon. Theboy took it into repair shops on Tuesday and was willing to pay an extra emergency service fee, but they gave us the runaround until he snatched it back on Wednesday without them even having looked at it. He and I ended up driving into town to purchase a new computer late yesterday afternoon, and then he and Althegal worked at transferring her old files to the new computer. That's easier said than done when the old computer wouldn't even turn on, but Theboy is very good at removing hard drives etc etc and he eventually worked it all out. In fact, they finished one minute before they had to leave for the airport.

Needless to say, Cuppa and I were rather stunned and exhausted when we were finally left alone, and we vegged and caught up with American Idol before going to bed. But sleep was a problem for me last night, so I got up around five o'clock to putter and puter. I'm still hold some hope for another hour or two but that hope is fading fast.

10 comments:

megz_mum said...

Don't you love those computers! Thank goodness for someone who knows how to fix and fiddle!

ChrisB said...

I was up at 5am this morning but my computer problem was nothing like the one you have just successfully resolved (mine was a problem uploading a video).

JunieRose2005 said...

Oh,my! What a week-end you all had!

And- what did we ever do without these computers!!!

...I think we slept better!

Junie

Donna said...

Happy birthday to Cuppa!! Hope she enjoyed her day. I would not have thought to switch hard drives!! Good thinking!hugs

Janet said...

I was up at 5, too, but that was because the 2-year-old decided to get up. My brother-in-law can do all that fancy stuff with computers. I watched him completely rebuild my other brother-in-law's computer. It was completely fascinating. And baffling. I can do a lot, but forget taking it apart. I'd never get it back together.

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Catch up on your rest for i think the Spring melt will start soon you may have to work to keep the water moving in the right direction.

I am glad you and not me had a busy weekend.

KGMom said...

Nothing worse than losing use of your computer at a critical moment.
I learned (through prior bad experience) to back up my files--so once a week, I copy all my files to an external hard drive.
Sorry for your daughter's computer troubles.

Kila said...

Did you take an afternoon nap on Thursday?

Ruth said...

No one can sleep if their mind is still zooming in the fast lane. I once heard my grandma say to my mother that while she loved our visits (5 children), they left her tired. I couldn't image why!

Anonymous said...

Yay for Theboy. It sounds like he saved the day. Is there anything more frustrating than a computer that is on the fritz.. I think not.