Tuesday, March 18, 2008

After All

Since I live in Ontario, the content of the following email is one of the few chain emails that is relevant to me and that I appreciate receiving.

It came all of the way across province from old friends in Sarnia. But it originated locally because Highway 417 is nearby, and we drive it from time to time. When I mentioned the content to Theboy, he had already read it. In fact, he read this email before it, somehow, got into widespread circulation. It was a friend of his partner at work who got the ticket and wrote the email to some friends. Since then, it has grown legs as they say.

Let's see: sent to me from friends in Sarnia but written by a local friend of Theboy. Cue up the soundtrack: It's a Small World After All.

Ontario drivers - attention (please pass on to everyone you know)...

I just had an experience which I hope you will not share.

I was driving on the 417 West at Panmure at broad daylight at 2 p.m.,
when I came upon two police cruisers who had pulled over a third vehicle. I slowed down to be cautious, and was surprised when the second cruiser pulled out and pulled me over.

Approaching on the passenger side, the officer asked if I knew why I had been pulled over. I honestly expressed that I had no idea.

He informed me that Ontario law now states that when approaching any emergency vehicle, on the roadside, with lights flashing, you must enter the left lane. He then proceeded to ticket me, taking three demerits and issuing a fine of , wait for it, . . . $490! (Yes, I'm choking as I type that.)

I realize I did not change lanes, but I do believe I was cautious. My message is, be careful. He said that they are cracking down hard on this because of three injured officers in the last ten days. I did not realize this was the law. Neither did any of my recently-licensed children. Or, evidently, not the 47 drivers (I counted) who broke the same law as I sat waiting to receive my ticket!

6 comments:

Gina said...

Ouch! That is an expensive ticket!

Ruth said...

I generally delete chain emails right away, but I kept this one. Being on the shoulder of a highway is very dangerous. It will be interesting to see how this is enforced.

Donna said...

It's also the law here in Texas...tough fine..Have a happy day!!hughugs

J said...

Ouch! I don't know if it's the law here or not, but it does sound like a good idea.

My husband was born in Ontario. In Bellville. Are you near there at all?

Janet said...

I'm pretty sure it's the law here too. At least in Kentucky. Occasionally you'll see a sign regarding it. Our traffic laws change daily, and I'm convinced that sometimes the cops make them up. $490 is ridiculous.

mreddie said...

Wow! 490$ is serious indeed, don't think it's a law here but they do have a dangerous job. ec