Thursday, December 20, 2007

It Continues to Snow


We just made a whirlwind trip to the cottage and back. We left, somewhat unpreparedly, on Monday and returned on Wednesday with the A-Team in tow. Yet another snowfall caused us to depart back home somewhat abruptly that morning, but we made it back in one piece and none the worse for wear about four hours later. The above photo shows the road just outside the cottage upon our departure. The one below looks back toward the cottage from the same spot. Note: In part, I post these because some dear readers expressed their appreciation of my previous winter photos, and I do like to suck up be considerate of the clientèle.


Getting into the cottage on Monday night was a wee bit of a problem, however. You see, on Sunday, Cuppa had called the gentleman who is paid to clear the snow from the driveway, and he had assured us that it would be done by Monday afternoon. When we arrived, however, not only had the driveway not been ploughed of its knee-deep snow, but the entrance was totally blocked by the leavings of the township ploughs.

Note: for those unaccustomed to real winter, this (being plowed in or out) is a perpetual and unavoidable scenario. It happens here in the city too; no sooner do I get my own driveway shovelled, but the town plough happens by and leaves me a pile at the entrance about a foot high and four feet wide. The additional problem is that this machine-dumped snow is almost invariably quite heavy. No one is to blame, and there's no sense in getting strung out over it; it's just the way it is.

In the event, the girls shovelled enough snow for us to get the car off the road, and we then lugged our very full carload of stuff down the knee-deep snowy lane to the cottage. Snowshoes helped the process a lot, but it took one long trip down in the knee-deep snow to locate and make use of them.

I told my ladies that if Mr Ploughman gave us some sort of lame excuse like a flat tire in the morrow that we'd know he was lying. His eventual excuse was a weak variation: "Sorry I couldn't make it yesterday, I had some car trouble." Uh huh! We believe him, don't we?

Anyway, we survived to eat many snacks, play various games around the kitchen table, and go out for a snowshoe walk. I took the next two photos on that walk. The second illustrates that if you do fall on snowshoes, it's very difficult to get back up without assistance.




When we got home last night, I had my driveway to shovel out, and I see that I will have to repeat the process this morning.

9 comments:

ChrisB said...

Pretty as it is I don't envy you all that shoveling!

Anonymous said...

My Hubby wants to get me a pair of snowshoes for walking the dogs in the back field. Do you find them easy to use.

Love the photos. Even though I see snow every single day.. it still can be so beautiful. Especially when it is not me who has the job of shoveling. :-)

Ginnie said...

You guys must be in good shape to handle all that snow. We almost never get any but 3 winters ago we had a snowfall of about 6". Not too bad except the snowplow came along and did just like yours... left a snowbank about 2 feet high and thick ...right across the front of my driveway. No way could I get my car out. Some time later I had a knock on the door. It was one of our neighbors who is retarded. He had brough his shovel and completely shoveled me out. When I tried to pay him he wouldn't take anything. He said it was his Christmas gift to me. Isn't that sweet?

Pam said...

We've got that "plowed in, plowed out" business going on here. It just keeps snowing, but I think you have more than we do. Love the cabin and think camp/cabin adventures are the best.

Donna said...

Lordy!! That's a Cottage??? What does a house look like?? LOL
Give me a sunny beach ANYDAY!!!!
Geez, I'm sore all over just looking at those Wonderful pictures!!! Stay warm!

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

My house is very close to the road (actually, I think my front porch is on the 66 foot road allowance). I usually wish it were not so and I lived back across the river by the log cabin BUT it is good in the Winter leaving litte snow to plow. Get your plow man to plow snow back for a short distance along the road in the direction from which the plow comes. This will allow the plow's blade to empty before he reaches the actual drive entrance.

"Raindrops" are you ready for a little Winter rain this weekend. Msny it not be freezing rain!!

Gina said...

Well, I have never been snowshoeing.

But I've never had to shovel snow, either.

Ruth said...

...all week I have been wishing I could escape to a cottage in the snowy woods, away from the hustle and bustle of the city...

Granny said...

It reminds me of my home town (not too far south of you) and also reminds me why I haven't lived there for years.

Let it snow, let it snow (on anyone but me).

Merry Christmas to all of you.